• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Update to "Wife Moving-Wants to leave kids behind"

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

traciweb

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? CT
Update to "Wife Moving Wants to leave kids behind by themselves"!!
I'll paste the original post below this but NOW it's gotten even better!
Now the ex has put her condo up for sale, is quitting her job (She carries the medical insurance and car insurance because I'm self employed and don't have any). She has informed me that my son needs to go to summer school because he is failing two classes and that she expects me to get an apartment in the town where my son has been living with her so that he can stay in it by himself and go to summer school. My daughter has found a friend that she is moving in with on July 1 so now she won't even be around for him. I told the ex that I certainly cannot afford my mortgage and living expenses for me and my fiance AND to get an apartment for a 16 year old to live in by himself!!! Get this--she expects me to pay for it all!! The apartment, the medical insurance, the car insurance and the summer school!! All this while she leaves to move out of state 6 hours away to be with her new husband that she met on the internet and married within 2 1/2 months! Unfortunately she still wants the child support until we get something from the court which could take months! Does anyone know if there is any way to get the "legal" stuff changed quickly? I have been trying to get my lawyer to call me back for 2 weeks now so I'm probably going to have to switch lawyers too!! This sounds like the makings of a "lifetime movie"!!

Here is my original post!
------------------------------------------------------------------

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Connecticut
My children live with my ex wife. I see them twice a week and every other weekend. I live 1 hour away from them. My wife has informed me that she met someone on the internet and will be marrying NEXT weekend. She wants to quit her job, move up with her new husband--6 hours away and she wants to leave the kids living in her condo alone. She says she will visit every other weekend. My daughter is 20 and my son 16. Neither one of them is mature enough to live on their own so I said I would have them move in with me but she insists she will keep them, have them live in the condo, and I should keep paying child support (for the 16 year old). She says she doesn't want the 16 year old to have to switch schools and that he is capable of taking care of himself. The 20 year old goes to school and works a night job so she's never home.
I am more than willing to have them move in with me and my fiance. We have a nice big home with a big yard and we live in a town with a wonderful school system. I don't know what to do. I don't want the kids to feel abandoned. They have expressed a LOT of concerns about their mother's behavior of late. Please HELP!

casa

traciweb said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? CT
Update to "Wife Moving Wants to leave kids behind by themselves"!!
I'll paste the original post below this but NOW it's gotten even better!
Now the ex has put her condo up for sale, is quitting her job (She carries the medical insurance and car insurance because I'm self employed and don't have any). She has informed me that my son needs to go to summer school because he is failing two classes and that she expects me to get an apartment in the town where my son has been living with her so that he can stay in it by himself and go to summer school. My daughter has found a friend that she is moving in with on July 1 so now she won't even be around for him. I told the ex that I certainly cannot afford my mortgage and living expenses for me and my fiance AND to get an apartment for a 16 year old to live in by himself!!! Get this--she expects me to pay for it all!! The apartment, the medical insurance, the car insurance and the summer school!! All this while she leaves to move out of state 6 hours away to be with her new husband that she met on the internet and married within 2 1/2 months! Unfortunately she still wants the child support until we get something from the court which could take months! Does anyone know if there is any way to get the "legal" stuff changed quickly? I have been trying to get my lawyer to call me back for 2 weeks now so I'm probably going to have to switch lawyers too!! This sounds like the makings of a "lifetime movie"!!

Here is my original post!
------------------------------------------------------------------

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Connecticut
My children live with my ex wife. I see them twice a week and every other weekend. I live 1 hour away from them. My wife has informed me that she met someone on the internet and will be marrying NEXT weekend. She wants to quit her job, move up with her new husband--6 hours away and she wants to leave the kids living in her condo alone. She says she will visit every other weekend. My daughter is 20 and my son 16. Neither one of them is mature enough to live on their own so I said I would have them move in with me but she insists she will keep them, have them live in the condo, and I should keep paying child support (for the 16 year old). She says she doesn't want the 16 year old to have to switch schools and that he is capable of taking care of himself. The 20 year old goes to school and works a night job so she's never home.
I am more than willing to have them move in with me and my fiance. We have a nice big home with a big yard and we live in a town with a wonderful school system. I don't know what to do. I don't want the kids to feel abandoned. They have expressed a LOT of concerns about their mother's behavior of late. Please HELP!
File an Emergency petition for custody. State than in a very short time your teenage son will be alone.

He can go to summer school where you are just as easily- maybe even easier as he won't have to see the kids from last year (Embarassment factor)

Does your court order address ins. and medical? IF she is court ordered to provide those- file a contempt motion in addition to the custody motion.

I think you have a good shot at this- A judge will not take kindly to a parent behaving the way she is and putting her child at potential risk.

LdiJ

casa said:
File an Emergency petition for custody. State than in a very short time your teenage son will be alone.

He can go to summer school where you are just as easily- maybe even easier as he won't have to see the kids from last year (Embarassment factor)

Does your court order address ins. and medical? IF she is court ordered to provide those- file a contempt motion in addition to the custody motion.

I think you have a good shot at this- A judge will not take kindly to a parent behaving the way she is and putting her child at potential risk.
Seriously, this changes the entire picture. Without your daughter in the home things are totally different. A 16 year old boy cannot be left totally on his own.

However, do some really quick research about summer school and whether or not the classes he needs are offered in your community, etc....and whether or not you could get him enrolled even though custody hasn't changed yet.
You may need to see if he can stay with a friend's family or a relative for the summer school weeks (usually its only 4-5 weeks long).

Get the ball rolling quickly. You may need the custody orders in place in order to enrol him in school.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">