• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Urgent! Child Custody and Domestic Abuse Case

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

LdiJ

All the drugs that OP has said her sister was on are opiates (sp?). Methadone is one of the prescribed "cures".
You spelled it right.

I have more sympathy (at least in some circumstances) for people who get addicted to pain meds. For many of them, the addiction ends up being a result of original legal usage. The use of pain meds also doesn't seem to make people unable to function like normal human beings. Heroin or meth however, those drugs are scary as heck.

I was prescribed Vicodin a couple of years ago for a very valid pain situation. It worked wonderfully but it scared the bejesus out of me after taking it for only two days. I ended up flushing the rest of my prescription (which unfortunately, I later found out was a BAD thing to do), because I didn't want to be tempted to take anymore.

MichaCA

I know its an opiate. And a very addictive opiate (maybe they all are). I was commenting on the claim that she was getting methadone "treatment" to help her with (only) two weeks usage of heroin. I don't buy it...I am thinking the heroin has been more long term.

And, obvious to all, she was high on heroin while taking care of son...when son was so-called absconded, she quit (with methadone). Oh well.

Proserpina

There is also a vast difference between addiction and dependence. This is an important point.

According to JAMA the number of chronic pain patients who become addicted to - versus dependent upon - narcotic pain meds is around 4%. But the media would have us believe that you'll become addicted to your vicodin and sell yourself on the streets after a single dose.

It's tragic and it makes pain medication that much harder to obtain for those patients who have a genuine need.

MichaCA

Sorry to sidetrack, but what IS the difference between dependency and addiction? Frankly, and not at all to be contrary, my experience is doctors are quite liberal in prescribing vikaden. I could easily be taking in long term if I wanted, just because I have pain. But I weaned myself as I am afraid of getting addicted.

Proserpina

Sorry to sidetrack, but what IS the difference between dependency and addiction? Frankly, and not at all to be contrary, my experience is doctors are quite liberal in prescribing vikaden. I could easily be taking in long term if I wanted, just because I have pain. But I weaned myself as I am afraid of getting addicted.

One of my favourite (although it's a bit oversimplified) articles on the subject is here:

Discovery Health :: Addiction v. Dependence on Pain Medications

It refers to cancer patients ; if you were to stop the medication suddenly their bodies would absolutely go through withdrawal (indicating physical dependency). But they're by no means addicted.

Hth :)

ETA: I also apologize for hijacking the thread a bit.

Last edited:

Just Blue

You spelled it right.

I have more sympathy (at least in some circumstances) for people who get addicted to pain meds. For many of them, the addiction ends up being a result of original legal usage. The use of pain meds also doesn't seem to make people unable to function like normal human beings. Heroin or meth however, those drugs are scary as heck.

I was prescribed Vicodin a couple of years ago for a very valid pain situation. It worked wonderfully but it scared the bejesus out of me after taking it for only two days. I ended up flushing the rest of my prescription (which unfortunately, I later found out was a BAD thing to do), because I didn't want to be tempted to take anymore.
Please keep in mind that OP's sister bought ALL her drugs ILLEGALLY. She never had a Rx.

Thanks for confirming my (sp?). :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">