• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Visitation Agreement Please Help

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

mjb11880

What is the name of your state? New York

OK here's my situation. My ex-girlfriend is planning on moving out of state to Utah because she got a job and has met someone else and is getting married. After going back and forth we finally came to an agreement on visitation arrangements Since we both agreed on the visitation arrangements I typed up our agreement and we both signed it and had it notorized. My question is once she moves to a different state, will she be required by law to uphold her end of the agreement or will she not be required because she's in another state. Please, anyone with anything please reply.
Thanks,
mike

M

manda2020

Ah I don't believe notorized agreements hold up in court. Best to just get a custody agreement made through the courts.

Grace_Adler

Manda's right. You need to go to court and have it signed by a judge for it to be legally binding. If you leave things the way they are and she decided not to let you have visitation, there's nothing you can do about it. If you get a judge to sign it and she withholds visitation, you can get her for contempt of a court order.

mamadi

Exactly - we learned the hard way. If you both agree on the visitation arangements there should be no problem getting it court ordered. That way if there's ever any problem as far as her
not letting you pick up child/ children, you have the court order to back you up. Good luck to ya !!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">