• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

visitation credit (ie no child support paid during summertime when child is with me)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

moving13346

What is the name of your state? used to be FL now VA

Hi,

I have done some research over the years and have noticed that in some cases the judge will actually allow a visitation credit for child support when the child is with an out of state NCP e.g. I would not have to pay child support for a month during the childs' summer visitation with me.

Since I am currently petitioning for visitation, I would like to know if that can be included in my petition or if it would have to be a seperate peitition to modify child support.

Thank you for your advice.

...Apolgies for putting a CS issue in this forum if inappropriate...but since it might be tied in with my petition for visitation I wasn't sure

Last edited:

tigger22472

moving13346 said:
What is the name of your state? used to be FL now VA

Hi,

I have done some research over the years and have noticed that in some cases the judge will actually allow a visitation credit for child support when the child is with an out of state NCP e.g. I would not have to pay child support for a month during the childs' summer visitation with me.

Since I am currently petitioning for visitation, I would like to know if that can be included in my petition or if it would have to be a seperate peitition to modify child support.

Thank you for your advice.

...Apolgies for putting a CS issue in this forum if inappropriate...but since it might be tied in with my petition for visitation I wasn't sure
If the state issuing the CS is a state that gives credit for parenting time it is generally added in when figuring in the first place. This means the same amount is paid 52 weeks of the year. If those 8 weeks were not paid the total of those 8 weeks would be distributed to the rest of the year and the payments be higher. for instance if your CS is $100 a week and you didn't pay that $100 for 8 weeks that totals 800$. That 800$ would be distributed over the remaining 44 weeks, making the payment $118.

M

moving13346

I'd have to look into this. I am not sure if Florida is such a State. If so, then it seems that it would have been put into my initial CS calculations.

Thank you

casa

moving13346 said:
I'd have to look into this. I am not sure if Florida is such a State. If so, then it seems that it would have been put into my initial CS calculations.

Thank you
Child support is calculated at a set amount for the entire year, divided into equal monthly payments. It's unusual not to pay during summer visitation- and when that occurs, it's because the original agreement outlined it, with the amount of those months added on to the other months of the year as the previous poster stated.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">