• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Visitation for deadbeat dad

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

bbnb03

What is the name of your state? IL
My ex was granted visitation with our 3 children. In the divorce it states that he is to call by 8:00pm the Thursday before his visit to confirm he wants the children. He did not call last night for the children instead he called today and I told him he could not have them. He called his lawyer and his lawyer called and said that if I didn't let the kids go he would fill a contempt of court case against me. My husband and I are representing ourselves in this and I was wondering how I can go about proving that my ex did not call like he was ordered to do.

K

krispenstpeter

That's a good question. HOw are you going to prove it?

If it's your word against his, you lose.

Next time have a recorder connected to the phone and let it record each and every time he calls.

But this time he gets the kids. Or you are in contempt of the court order.

tcpmp

In reality it is you word against his unless he can pull up his phone records to prove that he called by 8:00 pm the night before. The whole thing sounds a little trivial. Was there an exact reason why he couldn't take them without calling, i.e. appointment, school, ball game?

enjay

I agree, this seems like a very trivial reason to keep your children from their father, and judges frown upon such pettiness.

B

bbnb03

I am not trying to keep the children from their father. The situation is that he goes months on end without contacting them or seeing them. He feels that just because he is their father that he can come and go in their lives like he wants. I only put this stipulation in the visitations because the kids never knew if they were going to go or not until he would call at 5:00pm on a Friday and ask for them. I feel that my children do not have to put their lives on hold for him because he sure doesn't put his on hold for them.
How does someone go about getting phone records if they are not an attorney?

tcpmp

Some background services on the web offer up to date phone records. I have never used them and don't know if they work. You might be able to call you phone company and see if they keep recored of incoming calls and if they will release them to you. I don't know if they will give them to you but its worth a try.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">