• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

visitation for disabled child

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

katappa

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? oklahoma
Hi, I have 4 children. two are from my husband and the 21 month old twins are not. My husband and I are still together and raising all 4 together. One of the twins is disabled. He had a stoke in utero and needs constant care. What I need to know is...Would a judge let the birth father take him to Alabama where he lives for visitation with his medical condition? Besides having a stroke, he has had seizures, he has high blood pressure, kidney stones, intestinal cramping due to being constipated from not being able to move. He can roll now but he still takes medicine for the constipation and I have to help him get it out. He gets sick easily, we don't take him anywhere other than the doctor. I have tried but he gets sick every time, so his pediatrician said not too. His therapy comes to the house twice a week now so I don't have to take him out. Can I request the birth father to come to the house for visitation considering his condition?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? oklahoma
Hi, I have 4 children. two are from my husband and the 21 month old twins are not. My husband and I are still together and raising all 4 together. One of the twins is disabled. He had a stoke in utero and needs constant care. What I need to know is...Would a judge let the birth father take him to Alabama where he lives for visitation with his medical condition? Besides having a stroke, he has had seizures, he has high blood pressure, kidney stones, intestinal cramping due to being constipated from not being able to move. He can roll now but he still takes medicine for the constipation and I have to help him get it out. He gets sick easily, we don't take him anywhere other than the doctor. I have tried but he gets sick every time, so his pediatrician said not too. His therapy comes to the house twice a week now so I don't have to take him out. Can I request the birth father to come to the house for visitation considering his condition?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Expect that the FATHER -- not birth father -- will be entitled to visitation at his home at some time. Especially if he is willing to learn how to care for the child. Your rights are NOT superior to the father's rights once he goes to court and establishes visitation. At some point in time, your son will be traveling to visit his father in Alabama if dad so requests it.

LdiJ

Expect that the FATHER -- not birth father -- will be entitled to visitation at his home at some time. Especially if he is willing to learn how to care for the child. Your rights are NOT superior to the father's rights once he goes to court and establishes visitation. At some point in time, your son will be traveling to visit his father in Alabama if dad so requests it.
However, do get your doctor involved (testifying if necessary) at this point in time, because clearly, at this point in time the best interest of the child is to not be removed from your home.

If the child is 21 months old, and is just now able to roll, and can't even leave the house for therapy, this is not just a slightly different than standard situation.

Dad should be encouraged to not only visit in your home, but to schedule an appointment with the child's doctor to discuss the child's condition.

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
Alabama has a very fine* medical community (including several teaching hospitals), and a talented bunch at the Children's Hospital. Mayhaps Mom could ask her pediatrician for some referrals/information about the facilities available to her child in Alabama before she totally shoots Dad down.

*This is not hyperbole on my part.... UAB Health System has been recognized as one of the top medical facilities in the country. Since big steel/industry has mostly left the Bham metro area, medicine has become one of the biggest employers in the area.

katappa

Hi, I would like to say Thank you for everyone's replies to my questions. I'm not trying to shoot Dad down from visitation. He has not been a part of the twins life for the past two years because I chose to stay in Oklahoma and he doesn't want to move here. I have explained that it would be easier on everyone involved if he lived here. Besides the baby having medical problems, there are 3 other children involved. The two older ones are not his but they are the twins sisters. Would it not be better to keep them all close together? I'm Not trying to keep him from his kids. I want him to realize the situation with the baby. He still thinks that he is going to be fine and be a normal kid......and he's not, I'm sorry to say.:(

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Hi, I would like to say Thank you for everyone's replies to my questions. I'm not trying to shoot Dad down from visitation. He has not been a part of the twins life for the past two years because I chose to stay in Oklahoma and he doesn't want to move here. I have explained that it would be easier on everyone involved if he lived here.
Or you could move to Alabama. You dont' get to dictate.

Besides the baby having medical problems, there are 3 other children involved. The two older ones are not his but they are the twins sisters. Would it not be better to keep them all close together?
Sorry but now you are trying to interfere with dad for your own selfish reasons. You do NOT get to forbid dad from having visitation just because you cheated on your husband with someone and created babies. Once he establishes himself as dad, he will be granted visitation AT HIS HOME.
I'm Not trying to keep him from his kids.
I was believing you until the part about keeping the children with their sisters. Actually half siblings.

I want him to realize the situation with the baby. He still thinks that he is going to be fine and be a normal kid......and he's not, I'm sorry to say.:(

You never know what will happen in the future. Dad has a right to be with his children and spend time with them at his house which WILL happen in the future. Prepare yourself.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">