• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Visitation with grandchild

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

my boyryan

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California
My husband and I have legal guardianship of our 18 mos old grandson. Our daughter and her boyfriend willingly appointed us. Baby father was adopted by a family friend as an 18 yr old adult (dont ask why. I have no idea) The adopted father is trying to take us to court to get visitation rights. He has had minimal time spent with the child. Our daughter and the babies father live with us and have for the last 2 yrs. They will be moving out in January. Can the adoptive father take us to court for visitation rights?

Banned_Princess

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California
My husband and I have legal guardianship of our 18 mos old grandson. Our daughter and her boyfriend willingly appointed us. Baby father was adopted by a family friend as an 18 yr old adult (dont ask why. I have no idea) The adopted father is trying to take us to court to get visitation rights. He has had minimal time spent with the child. Our daughter and the babies father live with us and have for the last 2 yrs. They will be moving out in January. Can the adoptive father take us to court for visitation rights?
I hope I am not the only one thinking to myself... :confused:

Isis1

Why do you and your spouse have guardianship when mom and dad of the child live in the same house?? Are they taking their child with them when they move out? How old are mom and dad?

Proserpina

I hope I am not the only one thinking to myself... :confused:

Baby's paternal grandfather (who completed an adult adoption of baby's father) wants visitation of grandchild.

Baby's maternal grandparents currently have guardianship of grandchild.

Mom & Dad live with maternal grandparents.

Banned_Princess

Baby's paternal grandfather (who completed an adult adoption of baby's father) wants visitation of grandchild.

Baby's maternal grandparents currently have guardianship of grandchild.

Mom & Dad live with maternal grandparents.
I see. Cheers to your ramble decoder{sics}

my boyryan

The relized they are to young and not responsible enough to raise the child. neither work nor have they provided for the child since he was born. very, very immature. They will not get custody back unless they can prove to be able to provide for him. Besides, the question was about visitaion rights of this family friend who is legally the apoptive father of the babies father.

Isis1

The relized they are to young and not responsible enough to raise the child. neither work nor have they provided for the child since he was born. very, very immature. They will not get custody back unless they can prove to be able to provide for him. Besides, the question was about visitaion rights of this family friend who is legally the apoptive father of the babies father.
Hold on a sec... You have guardianship, or custody? Your answer matters.

Proserpina

.....WHO gave you guardianship? Were child services involved?

There is a reason for my question....and you don't have custody. You have guardianship. There is a difference.

my boyryan

We have guardianship. They have lived with us because we were making an effort to mentor them in helping them become responsible parents. They have no clue nor do they have interest in doing that. Now its time to give them the boot. Is it possible to get an answer about the adoptive person??? who adopts someone as an adult? lol

Isis1

We have guardianship. They have lived with us because we were making an effort to mentor them in helping them become responsible parents. They have no clue nor do they have interest in doing that. Now its time to give them the boot. Is it possible to get an answer about the adoptive person??? who adopts someone as an adult? lol
Is this guardianship signed for by a judge?

Proserpina

Then they are absolutely within their rights to revoke the guardianship (whether they have to go to court or not) and take the child with them - you cannot decide whether or not they are "fit" in your eyes to have custody of their own child.

Now, adoptive grandfather has no standing - from what you've said here - to sue for visitation. He can of course try but I do not see him getting anywhere.

And many people go through adult adoptions. :rolleyes:

my boyryan

umm No they cant. We have legal papers stating we have guardianship. The judge stated that they would have to take us to court in order to show reasons for returning him.

Isis1

umm No they cant. We have legal papers stating we have guardianship. The judge stated that they would have to take us to court in order to show reasons for returning him.
That's custody. Guardianship can be revoked at anytime without reason by the parents.

Isis1

Ok well I dont see the need to bicker about that. My concern was the apotive father wanting visitation.
Because being legally correct, helps us help you.

Grandparental visitation rights are harder to come by. There is a guideline to follow and requirements to meet. Google grandparent's right with your state. Then look for links that end in .gov

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">