• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Visitation laws for a sex offender?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

WorriedMother4

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? North Carolina.

I am a single mom of four children. My youngest child is 8 months. Recently it has come to my attention (after being together for two years) that my ex-boyfriend (my baby's father) is a registered sex offender. He has been banned from coming over to my neighborhood to see us as I live near a school.

He has just signed the forms stating he is the babies father and is going to start paying child support in January. He wants to see his daughter. I have called social services to ask what I can/can't allow so that I do not also get into trouble for letting him see her. Social services/magistrates office and child support all told me I need to get a lawyer. I support my children on my own and cannot afford to get a lawyer right now. I could really use some advice though.

What are the laws for sex offenders and visitation with their children?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

FlyingRon

Nothing in the NC sex offender restrictions appears to make any restriction on them being around their own children (in fact some of the restrictions on them going to places like schools are exempted when it involves legitimate activities with the children). It would take a specific court order or probation/parole conditions to keep them away from their own children.

The same visitation rules apply as if he weren't a sex offender otherwise.

LdiJ

Nothing in the NC sex offender restrictions appears to make any restriction on them being around their own children (in fact some of the restrictions on them going to places like schools are exempted when it involves legitimate activities with the children). It would take a specific court order or probation/parole conditions to keep them away from their own children.

The same visitation rules apply as if he weren't a sex offender otherwise.
I would make sure that you fully research his crimes and the conditions and restrictions placed on him. Once you have done that, you might want to call CPS (without giving them any names, even if they pressure you) just to get their take on the situation.

In the meantime, supervised visitation, in a public place, would likely be safe.

Antigone*

No. There are no current orders for parenting time/custody. Just the child support paperwork saying that as long as he is paying child support he can see his daughter.

Are you certain your paperwork says that? Child support is not generally a ticket to see your child

mistoffolees

I would make sure that you fully research his crimes and the conditions and restrictions placed on him. Once you have done that, you might want to call CPS (without giving them any names, even if they pressure you) just to get their take on the situation.

In the meantime, supervised visitation, in a public place, would likely be safe.
Yes, absolutely. Do not assume that everything in hunky-dory. Find out exactly what he was charged with and what restrictions he has to follow. If you simply allow visitation and find out later that it was not allowed, you could lose custody of your child.

WorriedMother4

On phone with CPS now, going to have to also get a hold of his cities sheriff to see what his personal restrictions are. If he can see his daughter, it will have to be supervised. Which he agrees is fine. Ill let you know what they say.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Just because he is a sex offender doesn't mean he will NOT get standard visitation. The actual conviction and registration requirements/restrictions matter.

TinkerBelleLuvr

If he agrees to the visitation AND it is determined that he is allowed to be around his own child, is there a trusted adult who could supervise within their own home or his?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">