• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Visitation-Regisitered Sex Offender

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

naybay

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida-Wondering if a Regisitered Sex Offender in Massachusetts would have a legal right to visitation, if child support is filed-Child resides in Florida.

CJane

What was the offense?

How long ago was the offense?

Was the other parent aware of this person's status prior to conceiving the child?

naybay

What was the offense? Rape of a child w/Force

How long ago was the offense? 2006

Was the other parent aware of this person's status prior to conceiving the child? no, I was not aware but he was a registered sex offender when the child was conceived due to prior crimes in Florida and California.

Banned_Princess

What was the offense? Rape of a child w/Force

How long ago was the offense? 2006

Was the other parent aware of this person's status prior to conceiving the child? no, I was not aware but he was a registered sex offender when the child was conceived due to prior crimes in Florida and California.

Proserpina

From your other post (to make things easier):

Furthermore, in regards to the charge it was actually rape of a child w/force. It was not statutory. He served two years and will be on paroll for the next few years and forced to register for the rest of his life. My concern is that we live so far apart and I'm wondering if the possibility of visitation is even worth my filing for child support. He does not communicate with me nor my son but may file for visitation out of spite.

Zephyr

aren't most sex offenders, at least those whose crimes relate to children, forbidden from being around children or where children congregate?

naybay

I wasn't aware people frequent both threads, my apologies. I did not know he was a sex offender when my son was conceived. He hid it from me and I did not find out until the police came to my door when I was eight months pregnant with a warrant for his arrest....thats when everything came out.

CJane

Well, here's the deal.

I think he's pretty unlikely to file for visitation.

I think he's pretty unlikely to GET unsupervised visitation AT ALL, but for certain without an introductory period IN THE CHILD'S HOME STATE. And I think that IF that were ordered, he'd be unlikely to show up for said visits since they'd be on the other end of the country.

Proserpina

aren't most sex offenders, at least those whose crimes relate to children, forbidden from being around children or where children congregate?

That's by no means a given, no.

My stepdaughter's husband has to register for 10 years (he's 25, and the crime took place when he was 18 and the victim was 15 which by definition means that it involved a child ), but they had two children together - after the crime occurred. There are no restrictions other than he has to register for a few more years.

It really does depend on the nature of the crime.

Proserpina

Well, here's the deal.

I think he's pretty unlikely to file for visitation.

I think he's pretty unlikely to GET unsupervised visitation AT ALL, but for certain without an introductory period IN THE CHILD'S HOME STATE. And I think that IF that were ordered, he'd be unlikely to show up for said visits since they'd be on the other end of the country.

I absolutely agree, CJane.

Proserpina

I don't. Not without knowing MORE DETAILS about the crime. Letournea is all I am saying.

OP said it was rape of a child with force; that would suggest it's something more than stat. rape or similar (though I agree that more details would be needed). I still agree though, that in this case he's unlikely to even file.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">