• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Visitation Schedule

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

casa

LdiJ said:
For the most part I agree. However for some families Labor Day might be a big occasion when extended families get together...sometime maybe one of the few occasions per year that they do get together. So I don't think its fair to assume that Labor Day is automatically an unimportant holiday.
There's also Memorial Day. If OPs orders say "in addition to" or if it specifies that the holiday is attached to NCPs assigned visitation weekend~ then NCP gets the day. My daughter's father gets her any Monday holiday that follows his visitation...and I have no problem finding time for extended family. I just think parents get down to nit-picking every single thing and it only adds to either frustration or litigation. What about NCPs family? If CP has the child throughout the whole year- it seems fairly obvious they have a multitude of chances to gather with family, where NCP has dramatically fewer opportunities. The bottom line is extended family is not the focus of scheduled visitation weekends, the parents are. It's up to the parents to arrange for family time with their respective families.

LdiJ

casa said:
There's also Memorial Day. If OPs orders say "in addition to" or if it specifies that the holiday is attached to NCPs assigned visitation weekend~ then NCP gets the day. My daughter's father gets her any Monday holiday that follows his visitation...and I have no problem finding time for extended family. I just think parents get down to nit-picking every single thing and it only adds to either frustration or litigation. What about NCPs family? If CP has the child throughout the whole year- it seems fairly obvious they have a multitude of chances to gather with family, where NCP has dramatically fewer opportunities. The bottom line is extended family is not the focus of scheduled visitation weekends, the parents are. It's up to the parents to arrange for family time with their respective families.
Valid point...although I was really thinking more in the line of family reunions and things like that. For example, my family has a very special, long time tradition of family reunions on the 4th of July. Its the only time when the ENTIRE extended family (even third cousins lol) gets together. So it would be really sad if my daughter could NEVER attend, ANY year because of a "quirk" in a visitation schedule. I know other families who have similar traditions on either Memorial Day or Labor Day....My aunts inlaws always had their huge family reunion at their lake house for Labor Day, for example....which is the only reason that I brought it up.

LdiJ said:
Valid point...although I was really thinking more in the line of family reunions and things like that. For example, my family has a very special, long time tradition of family reunions on the 4th of July. Its the only time when the ENTIRE extended family (even third cousins lol) gets together. So it would be really sad if my daughter could NEVER attend, ANY year because of a "quirk" in a visitation schedule. I know other families who have similar traditions on either Memorial Day or Labor Day....My aunts inlaws always had their huge family reunion at their lake house for Labor Day, for example....which is the only reason that I brought it up.
~Well if both the CP and the NCP would step up, be adults and think of the children they could work it out. Why would one choose such a small hill to die on? I'd rather be with my dad then mom's 2nd, 3rd and 20th cousins anyday of the week:) It all boils down to one parent doing it to be difficult!

casa

LdiJ said:
Yes I also have a large family reunion every year. However, because of this ongoing 'tradition'- I brought that up as an important time to have the children. nuttyX also has a family reunion every year on the opposite coast~ so our child attends both, but in rotation.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">