• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Visitation Schedule 240 Miles Away (CA Case)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

willnotstop

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA
I currently have joint legal and physical custody of my son, however I live 2200 miles and I only see him on alt holidays and 1/2 summer. This is not enough... What makes things worse is that his mother does not want to co-parent and does not follow the court order in regards to my involvement in decision making ect... In case you were wondering, the court allows this and basically lets her because I am so far away.
I have the opportunity to move closer with my employer and it's about 240 miles (3hrs driving / 1hr direct flight) from where my son lives. I want to go to court to modify custody and I wanted to see if anyone had suggestions of a visitation plan. I am really interested in any CA case law or anything I can use in court.
I am afraid the judge will not consider this close enough to change custody arrangements. Any thoughts?

Zephyr

You drive 80 mph?

it's probably more like 4+ hours of driving. But if you and mom were meeting in the middle there is no reason that kiddo couldn't come to you every other weekend, or maybe the one long weekend from school per month and swap the schedule for summer? There are a lot of sample long distance parenting plans online.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">