• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

visitation schedule

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

MOMNKS

I live in Kansas. I have a 4 1/2 yr old daughter. Her biological father left before she was born. The State went after him for child support since I was receiving day care assistance. He had never attempted to see her or have contact with her. Last year when she was 3 1/2, he wanted to start seeing her. We went to court for my husband to adopt her. The court denied the petition since the biological dad had paid some child support, even though it was involuntary.
We are supposed to being going very gradually with visitation. He wants to start taking her and if I don't let him, he will take me to court to get every other weekend, every other holiday, etc.
My question is would he get this visitation schedule since he has not been a part of her life at all in the last 4 years?

L

LadyBlu

MOMNKS said:
I live in Kansas. I have a 4 1/2 yr old daughter. Her biological father left before she was born. The State went after him for child support since I was receiving day care assistance. He had never attempted to see her or have contact with her. Last year when she was 3 1/2, he wanted to start seeing her. We went to court for my husband to adopt her. The court denied the petition since the biological dad had paid some child support, even though it was involuntary.
We are supposed to being going very gradually with visitation. He wants to start taking her and if I don't let him, he will take me to court to get every other weekend, every other holiday, etc.
My question is would he get this visitation schedule since he has not been a part of her life at all in the last 4 years?
Was the visitation set up by the court? As supervised?

If so, then has allthe visitation steps been taken by the father?

If there is no visitation order, then you need to let the father do so, and then bring up the fact that he has had no parent/child reltaionship established and it would be in the best interest for the child and dad to have supervised until there is.

M

MOMNKS

The court sent us to a child phsycologist that had written a letter saying 6 months to a year to establish bond. We saw her once in January and once in February. Then she just kinda turned us loose to come up with a schedule of our own.

I just need to know which way is the better route to go, make them go through what the doctor said or try to work one out on our own. He thinks she is ready to spend a couple of hours on her own with him every weekend.

Will he ultimately get the every other weekend and holiday?

L

LadyBlu

MOMNKS said:
The court sent us to a child phsycologist that had written a letter saying 6 months to a year to establish bond. We saw her once in January and once in February. Then she just kinda turned us loose to come up with a schedule of our own.

I just need to know which way is the better route to go, make them go through what the doctor said or try to work one out on our own. He thinks she is ready to spend a couple of hours on her own with him every weekend.

Will he ultimately get the every other weekend and holiday?
You need to set up say a weekend schedule that for the next four weeks he spend 2-4 hrs with her in your presence. Then start allowing him to take her on his own for 2 hrs on the weekend, then the next week graduate to 3-4 hrs. Eventually she will be allowed by the court to overnights and weekends. SO this is something you need to start preparing your child and yourself for.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">