• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Visitation Schedules vs. Work Schedules

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rubylane

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY

Hi all; I was hoping maybe someone can give me some insight on how employment schedules come into play when setting up a visitation schedule for shared physical custody.

Father mainly works weekends, and I need to find supplemental income and with my experience being in the restaurant business weekend hours will be a given....so most likely by the time we get to court we will both be on similar work schedules.

I would really like daughter to be in my home on school nights; she is in desperate need of a routine and I feel right now her life is chaos with the back and forth whenever it works for her father and her. She also has some emotional issues and I feel that a stable routine might help with getting that area under control as well.

Do employment schedules get taken into consideration by the court when setting up a visitation schedule, or is it the parents responsibility to schedule their employment time around the ordered visitation schedule?

thanks for any input.

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY

Hi all; I was hoping maybe someone can give me some insight on how employment schedules come into play when setting up a visitation schedule for shared physical custody.

Father mainly works weekends, and I need to find supplemental income and with my experience being in the restaurant business weekend hours will be a given....so most likely by the time we get to court we will both be on similar work schedules.

I would really like daughter to be in my home on school nights; she is in desperate need of a routine and I feel right now her life is chaos with the back and forth whenever it works for her father and her. She also has some emotional issues and I feel that a stable routine might help with getting that area under control as well.

Do employment schedules get taken into consideration by the court when setting up a visitation schedule, or is it the parents responsibility to schedule their employment time around the ordered visitation schedule?

thanks for any input.
Parental employment schedules absolutely DO get taken into consideration by the court when setting up visitation schedules.

However the courts also do favor a specific schedule for children, for the sake of the children's stablity.

So, if the ncp wants a schedule that completely revolves around his/her employment schedule, if that schedules changes from week to week, the ncp would not likely prevail.

However if the ncp wants a schedule that is "non traditional" because the ncp's work schedule is non traditional, the ncp might very well prevail.

rubylane

thanks for the info LdiJ.

Maybe you can give me your opinion on what may work for my situation.

Dad's schedule is set for the most part, he works a few daytime hours during the week and then nights on Friday and Saturday and Sunday day. So weekends are out for him, unless he makes some schedule changes.

He has worked this schedule for a long time and visitation always worked for us because he would take her for a couple hours in the evening on school nights and always returned her to stay the night at my house. His visiting was also very random, sometimes once or twice a week and then maybe go a week or two without calling. On summer and breaks, she of course was able to spend all day with him and sometimes did spend the night if he felt like letting her.

Now he has new girlfriend who moved in and is more settled I guess, (and is mad at me) and is wanting her to come over almost every weeknight and then telling her she is spending the night. I feel like now she is back and forth and all over the place & never home anymore....and I feel that the emotional issues she has are starting to spin out of control.

I would like her back home to our previous routine that worked well. Do you think that is a reality? I don't mind if she visits for a couple hours on weeknights, but then I would like her back home to get settled back into the normal routine she has always known.

thanks again for your info.

LdiJ

thanks for the info LdiJ.

Maybe you can give me your opinion on what may work for my situation.

Dad's schedule is set for the most part, he works a few daytime hours during the week and then nights on Friday and Saturday and Sunday day. So weekends are out for him, unless he makes some schedule changes.

He has worked this schedule for a long time and visitation always worked for us because he would take her for a couple hours in the evening on school nights and always returned her to stay the night at my house. His visiting was also very random, sometimes once or twice a week and then maybe go a week or two without calling. On summer and breaks, she of course was able to spend all day with him and sometimes did spend the night if he felt like letting her.

Now he has new girlfriend who moved in and is more settled I guess, (and is mad at me) and is wanting her to come over almost every weeknight and then telling her she is spending the night. I feel like now she is back and forth and all over the place & never home anymore....and I feel that the emotional issues she has are starting to spin out of control.

I would like her back home to our previous routine that worked well. Do you think that is a reality? I don't mind if she visits for a couple hours on weeknights, but then I would like her back home to get settled back into the normal routine she has always known.

thanks again for your info.
What a judge would likely order is that dad gets a couple of overnights a week, during the week, but on specific days, so that your daughter had a fixed weekly routine.

BL

The Courts in NY I've been in usually like to and instruct the parties to see if they can come to an agreement first .

Usually , that means compromises on both sides .

Then both sides should foster a good relationship for the best interest of the child and the schedule.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">