• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Voluntary forfeit of parental rights in Michigan?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Just Blue

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Michigan

I am 25 years old, single.. live in Michigan.. came to visit my friends in PA (who are married) .. and well.. I slept with her husband... and now find out I am pregnant.. I don't want to involve him or especially his wife.. and he has agreed to forfeit his parental rights.. so, how do we go about this without involving his wife?

Please help?
You should hire an attorney to assist you with the morally reprehensible life.:)

Never file for ANY kind of aid such as Medicaid, food stamps or welfare. If you do, they will REQUIRE that you name the father and they will pursue a child support order against him.

ecmst12

Abortion is not being suggested because we are horrible people. It is suggested because it is the ONLY decision that you can make regarding this pregnancy without involving the father. Even if you give the child up for adoption, he will need to consent to that and be involved for the short period of time up to the adoption taking place. And if you raise the child yourself, it will be difficult or impossible for dad to not be involved (not to mention a horrible thing to do to the child, intentionally excluding dad from the child's life just so he won't have to deal with the consequences of his cheating). The only way to protect you and dad from his wife's/your friend's wrath is to end the pregnancy and continue lying about what happened. It's a valid choice if the single mom life is not something you are willing or able to go into.

If you want to have the baby though, and keep/raise it, you really need to come clean with wife/friend. And you need to start thinking about the needs of this child before your own.

gam

Originally Posted by gam

All of what Zigner said and understand the only way he can give up his rights is sometime down the road when you are married and your spouse can do an adoption.

In Mi dad can decide up till the child is 18 to become part of that childs life. So prepare yourself in case dad changes his mind and wants to become part of this childs life down the road. Any state aide including MEDICAL FOR THE PREGNANCY, will have the state automatically getting involved.

If I was you, I would be the friend you should have been to begin with, and tell your friend what her dear old hubby is up to. Of course it will end your relationship, but if it was me in your shoes, at least I would be able to live with myself for stabbing my friend in the back.
Do you think, for one second, I don't regret what we did? How hard it is to realize what has become from it? I do not need you to pass judgement on me, or him.. this was our decision.. in fact, mainly even mine.. but the fact remains.. you do not need to judge, merely answer helpfully.
I answered you helpfully and I didn't judge you. I stated fact, you SLEPT WITH YOUR FRIENDS HUSBAND. You stabbed your friend in the back by doing that. Not judgement, IT'S A FACT, STATED BY YOURSELF.

Again if this was me, and I made a mistake that I don't want to be judged for, I would fess up to my friend. It's the only way to right your wrong here, by telling her that her husband and friend are liars and cheaters. Her husband knocked you up, and hiding that fact from her, is only adding to the wrong you made in the first place. Think your going to be the only one the cheating husband, cheats with, why not put this poor woman out of further misery by telling her what her husband did?

CJane

Michigan has a safe haven law.

You *could give birth and then exit the hospital. The child will be placed for adoption without any other contact from the state.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney

You *could give birth and then exit the hospital. The child will be placed for adoption without any other contact from the state.
Thank you for sharing this all-to-often overlooked option. It's unfortunate that it is so easy to deprive the child of a father, but this is absolutely an option.

justalayman

Thank you for sharing this all-to-often overlooked option. It's unfortunate that it is so easy to deprive the child of a father, but this is absolutely an option.
actually, this would likely result in the child having a father due to an adoption. The father would be deprived of his child but I doubt that is a problem here.

I kind of wonder if OP will be seeing her "friend" while she is pregnant. Will she say it was just some one night stand and she never got the father's name?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
actually, this would likely result in the child having a father due to an adoption. The father would be deprived of his child but I doubt that is a problem here.
Good point.

I kind of wonder if OP will be seeing her "friend" while she is pregnant. Will she say it was just some one night stand and she never got the father's name?
Good question.

NellieBly

He can forfeit his rights, but not his responsibilities. Are you going to make your child have a lower standard of living just because Dad doesn't want to chip in?

Damn the torpedoes and sue him for child support! His wife will find out sooner or later and then the ship will hit the sand.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee

Well she abandoned her morals and her friend, so why not her baby as well. Would be fitting for her.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">