• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Voluntary forfeit of parental rights in Michigan?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Very Worried

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Michigan

I am 25 years old, single.. live in Michigan.. came to visit my friends in PA (who are married) .. and well.. I slept with her husband... and now find out I am pregnant.. I don't want to involve him or especially his wife.. and he has agreed to forfeit his parental rights.. so, how do we go about this without involving his wife?

Please help?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney

I am 25 years old, single.. live in Michigan.. came to visit my friends in PA (who are married) .. and well.. I slept with her husband... and now find out I am pregnant.. I don't want to involve him or especially his wife.. and he has agreed to forfeit his parental rights.. so, how do we go about this without involving his wife?

Please help?
The most straight-forward option would be to have an abortion.
If that is not a choice you are comfortable with, then you can proceed to have the child and never ever ask for any sort of state aid. That way, you can deprive the child of his/her father without all those nasty complications from your choice to sleep with a married man.

gam

All of what Zigner said and understand the only way he can give up his rights is sometime down the road when you are married and your spouse can do an adoption.

In Mi dad can decide up till the child is 18 to become part of that childs life. So prepare yourself in case dad changes his mind and wants to become part of this childs life down the road. Any state aide including MEDICAL FOR THE PREGNANCY, will have the state automatically getting involved.

If I was you, I would be the friend you should have been to begin with, and tell your friend what her dear old hubby is up to. Of course it will end your relationship, but if it was me in your shoes, at least I would be able to live with myself for stabbing my friend in the back.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee

Please help?
You state she is a friend of yours? Sorry but you are a liar. Friends don't sleep with their friend's husbands. He can't forfeit his parental rights. Have an abortion if you don't want to risk his wife ever finding out. If you keep the child, never use medicaid, foodstamps, or any state aid ever then he won't have to be notified.

Quite frankly you are disgraceful and pathetic. I agree with GAM except to say the husband is NOT the only horrible individual -- you are just as bad -- especially since you still call yourself a friend.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
All of what Zigner said and understand the only way he can give up his rights is sometime down the road when you are married and your spouse can do an adoption.

In Mi dad can decide up till the child is 18 to become part of that childs life. So prepare yourself in case dad changes his mind and wants to become part of this childs life down the road. Any state aide including MEDICAL FOR THE PREGNANCY, will have the state automatically getting involved.

If I was you, I would be the friend you should have been to begin with, and tell your friend what her dear old hubby is up to. Of course it will end your relationship, but if it was me in your shoes, at least I would be able to live with myself for stabbing my friend in the back.
Maybe we can hook her up with rocketier or whatever who slutted around on his wife. The two of them seem to be a matched set.

Very Worried

Never asked for Judgement.

Do you think, for one second, I don't regret what we did? How hard it is to realize what has become from it? I do not need you to pass judgement on me, or him.. this was our decision.. in fact, mainly even mine.. but the fact remains.. you do not need to judge, merely answer helpfully.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Do you think, for one second, I don't regret what we did? How hard it is to realize what has become from it? I do not need you to pass judgement on me, or him.. this was our decision.. in fact, mainly even mine.. but the fact remains.. you do not need to judge, merely answer helpfully.
The problem is you should have thought more about your friend before you willingly spread your legs and had sex with her husband. Answer helpfully? We were being helpful. Have an abortion as soon as possible. That way you can carry on with your deception to your so-called friend so she doesn't find out what pathetic individuals her husband and so-called friend are.

If you don't abort, your friend will almost definitely find out about the fact that you screwed her husband while a guest in her home. What type of insurance do you have? How much money do you earn? How will you pay for daycare?

Very Worried

One thing is for sure..

The problem is you should have thought more about your friend before you willingly spread your legs and had sex with her husband. Answer helpfully? We were being helpful. Have an abortion as soon as possible. That way you can carry on with your deception to your so-called friend so she doesn't find out what pathetic individuals her husband and so-called friend are.

If you don't abort, your friend will almost definitely find out about the fact that you screwed her husband while a guest in her home. What type of insurance do you have? How much money do you earn? How will you pay for daycare?

as your signature states:
Nothing stated by me should be taken as giving you legal advice or forming an attorney/client relationship

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
as your signature states:
Nothing stated by me should be taken as giving you legal advice or forming an attorney/client relationship
Well at least you didn't say it was against your religion to have an abortion. Because that would make you a joke.

PQN

You could also allow the baby to be adopted. That would ensure that dad doesn't have to be a dad.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
You could also allow the baby to be adopted. That would ensure that dad doesn't have to be a dad.
But dad WOULD be involved in the adoption process and that leaves the door WIDE open to the wife finding out. We're trying to figure out ways to help the OP lie and hide this, remember?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
But dad WOULD be involved in the adoption process and that leaves the door WIDE open to the wife finding out. We're trying to figure out ways to help the OP lie and hide this, remember?
So abortion it is. Hopefully the OP has made that appointment already. That way she can jump through the hoops and get rid of the baby before her "friend" finds out she screwed the husband. Oh jeez.. that sounded judgmental even though I was only stating facts. So sad that the facts are judging her. Anyone feel sympathy for her?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
I feel sympathy for 1 person and 1 unborn person
As do I. But apparently we are supposed to feel sympathy for the OP because don't you know she is the innocent one in this whole mess. She didn't mean to actually strip down and have him have sex with her -- it was the alcohol, drugs, weather, wind, day of the week, cologne he wore -- but it just happened so that doesn't make her untrustworthy and a liar because she wants to hide this from her friend whom she really really cares about and doesn't want to hurt her friend with the knowledge that she slutted around with her dear friend's husband.

Oh judgmental again? Shucks.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">