• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Voluntary termination of parental rights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

H

HomeSkillet

ryry: RIGHT ON!! She SHOULD give up this child if the father is willing and able to take her!
Let's hope for the sake of the child that she does! Then she won't have psycho-mom to deal with on top of all the problems.

Still hoping we get more info from the original poster on this.

Whyte Noise

PT

Hun, I dunno if this will help you at all considering your ex, but my ex and I agreed to it. We split in April 2000. He had them that summer because I was living in a motel and didn't want to put them in that environment. In 2001, I got them all summer at my home. Our divorce was signed in March of this year. We agreed to EOW, (actually every weekend if I live close enough), splitting holidays, and I get my kids from the day after school lets out until 7 days before school starts back. So in the summer I get them from May to August. My children are 8, 9, and 10 though and were 7, 8, and 9 when the divorce was signed. We had agreed to this before the divorce was even started, so it was just incorporated into our parenting plan and final decree. Don't know if this helps you any or not, but if you need any sort of documentation, I'd be happy to make copies of my visitation schedule and send it to you. Remember, I'm in Missouri and my kids are in Georgia so we have a "long distance" aspect as well. But also remember, my children are a lot older than your son, so I dunno if it would apply or not.... I'll help if I can though! :)

CMSC

pt, my husband too gets his son all summer June 20th-August21st . It started at age 5...before that he had him whenever he wanted because they lived just a few miles apart. My ss started flying here when he was 5 by himself and stays all summer and this year he is coming for 2 weeks at Christmas!!!!!:)
Sorry, just thought I would share!

P

pthalo

ry ry and MG, both of you have information that I need. The parenting plan would be great but leave out the names please as that is none of my business. I can send you a SASE if you need it or if you can scan and email that would be great.. yes I know jin yi is young but I am looking at around age 5.. wow that is where ryry comes in.. was this an agreement or was it court ordered. that is kinda important seeing how my ex is and all, but if I can show case studies which I will that prove or at least reaffirm my notion that five is plenty old enough for summer visitation then I can tear apart her logic and maybe start exposing her selfishness and unwillingness to cooperate with me when it comes to our son's best interest.

Whyte Noise

I don't have a copy of the actual parenting plan, but I do have a copy of the Marital Settlement Agreement which spells out the exact visitation. I'd have no problem sending it to ya at all. I dont have a scanner, or I'd do it that way. :) If you want to, you can E-mail me your address at [email protected]. If ya need I can also send you copies of the final decree where it states that what was in the marital settlement agreement is incorporated and should be held as if ordered in the final decree. So that will show that it was an actual order, signed by a judge, etc.

CMSC

Hubby's is court ordered, but i have no clue where the papers are....this would be the first time in a while I would need to find them!

I found this, it is a list of things you will want to consider when making your parenting plan, I thought maybe it would come in handy.
http://www.spig.clara.net/p-plans/spa-ttc.htm

I just thought this one was cute because it is the Flinstone's Parenting Plan so i had to throw it in....http://www.spig.clara.net/p-plans/flintstones.html

ChildO'Mine

I am not a psycho mom! I love my daughter with all my heart and just considering this decision has all but killed me. First of all, let me tell you that my child DOES have a good relationship with her father and she DOES have a good relationship with her step-mother (and you know, maybe I am a little jealous.) My child has expressed the interest in living with her Dad and he has expressed in the interest in having her. However. The reason I am considering this is because when she is with me, he does everything he can to cause problems. He tells her she doesn't have listen to step dad, over rides my authority on decisions I have made, denies her things she wants just to piss me off. The other day I asked for help to pay for Karate classes for her because I thought a physical extracurricular activity would do her good. But the classes cost $210. He told me he would not help to pay for them because I never offered to pay for any activities they put her in when she visits over the summer. LAst year she begged him for soccer cleats, but because I put her in Soccer he refused to help her out. All this is to upset me but she feels it too. When she is with him and her step mom though, she is the center of their world. They spoil her, provide for her every "want" and need. Sure, they make me seem like the scum of the earth when they talk about me to her, to the point where she doesn't want to talk to me when I call, BUT I DON"T CARE ABOUT ME!! I want whats best for her. And if that means giving her over the her Dad then thats what I will do. THE ONLY REASON I WOULD EVER CONSIDER GIVING UP RIGHTS IS BECAUSE HE HATES ME SO MUCH THAT HIS MAIN FOCUS IS RUINING MY LIFE..... WHICH EFFECTS MY CHILDRENS LIFE.... ALL OF THEM. But when I don't have the control and revenge isn't his primary focus.... he actually is a good dad. I could go on and on. Oh, and whoever PTHALO is.... Don't call me a little girl AND I would still be writing those checks whether her dad excepted them at all. I would send her the shirt on my back and the last penny in y walwet if thats what she needed. Call it dumb on my part, but isn't is true thatif you can't pay child support (or the full amout ordered every month) that they try to terminate rights anyway?? AND I DO HAVE A JOB AND I DO PROVIDE FOR MY CHILDREN, AND THEIR NEEDS DO COME FIRST. And only one person in this forum asked this question.... Whats so wrong with sending her to live with her Dad? If that will make her happy, stable, and fulfilled? Just because I think he is an utter ASS doesn't mean she does.
But honestly, can I get away with just sending what I have left every month to support her? Because if I could and I didn't have friggin attorneys and court clerks pounding on my door (because he is the kind of guy who will do that if I am even 5 days late on support), I wouldn't consider terminating my rights. I am not the motivation here. I am not concerned with me. Off course I think of the reprecussions but when I weigh what is best for her, I can't help think that at least letting her live with her dad is the right thing to do... FOR HER. There are so many people that ruin childrens lives using them as pawns to get back at the ex... well I refuse to do that. Why does that make me so bad??
And my idea for any extended a visit is what goes beyond summer visitation of 8 weeks. I not a friggin control freak.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
No, you can't just send whatever you have left. If there is a court-ordered amount, you need to pay it in full. What you don't pay will begin racking up interest as an arrearage, which you will eventually have to pay. They won't terminate your rights - you'll have your driver's license suspended, any professional licenses suspended, and possibly jailed.

The issue is less what's wrong with sending her to her Dad, and more with your stated unwillingness/inability to pay child support and your desire to terminate your parental rights. In my opinion, take it or leave it, if she'd be better off with Dad then there's nothing wrong with switching custody. But there is everything wrong with removing yourself from her life physically, emotionally and financially. And *that* is what has everyone up in arms.

ChildO'Mine

Oh and hes not in the military any more, so he will actually be there for her. Someone asked what her dad thought of her behavioral disorders and how she acts when she is with them. Well to be honest.... their visits have only consisted of 8 weeks every summer and they are constantly on the go that neither one of them really get to see all of her behavioral issues... but they do see some. Earlier, when she went on the extended visit (which was four months) her dad was sent to Saudi so he didn't get to really see it either. The step mom did though. When I discuss her behavior he tells me "You can tell me you gave me a Jag but until I see it parked in my driveway, I don't own a Jag." Oh, and NO I HAVE NEVER GIVEN HER UP BEFORE!! God! I sent her to live with her Dad and Step mom because she was falling behind in school (and as much as I don't like them, I thought her step mom could help out because is a teacher and I thought my child could benefit from one and one instruction from some who knew what they were doing) So I let her finish the last semester with them in conjunction with the summer visit.

ChildO'Mine

Oh and hes not in the military any more, so he will actually be there for her. Someone asked what her dad thought of her behavioral disorders and how she acts when she is with them. Well to be honest.... their visits have only consisted of 8 weeks every summer and they are constantly on the go that neither one of them really get to see all of her behavioral issues... but they do see some. Earlier, when she went on the extended visit (which was four months) her dad was sent to Saudi so he didn't get to really see it either. The step mom did though. When I discuss her behavior he tells me "You can tell me you gave me a Jag but until I see it parked in my driveway, I don't own a Jag." Oh, and NO I HAVE NEVER GIVEN HER UP BEFORE!! God! I sent her to live with her Dad and Step mom because she was falling behind in school (and as much as I don't like them, I thought her step mom could help out because is a teacher and I thought my child could benefit from one and one instruction from some who knew what they were doing) So I let her finish the last semester with them in conjunction with the summer visit. Oh and yes... she did well there. At least thats what they tell me.

G

Grandma B

ryry's mom said:
I am not all for parents not taking on responsibility BUT if this poster is so convinced this is the child from hell then I think the poster should terminate her rights! A child doesn't need a parent like this!
Have to agree with you. If a parent does not want a child, it would accordingly be in the child's best interest to not be in the physical custody of such parent.

I'm not heartless. I do realize caring for a "problematic" child can be extremely frustrating. Counseling can help tremendously in situations like this, as can support groups.

Whyte Noise

Child O Mine, I take it that you are overseas since you made the comment about her going across 10 states and an ocean twice a year for visitation to her father.

Listen to what I'm about to tell you.... No one makes your life hell unless you LET them. You have to allow him to do it in order for it to happen. Simply hang up the phone. It's kind of hard to have an argument with just one person involved in it. He doesn't want to pay half of her karate lessons? Fine. You pay it all. After all, if it's not in the court order, he is not obligated to do it, and it was you (not the both of you) that made the decision to put her in karate.

I'm not talking out of my ass here. I don't have custody of my three children. I agreed to let their father have them because he can and does provide a stable home for them. He's had the same job for 3 years, makes damn good money at it, they have stability. And as hard as it is for me to admit, they would not have that if they were with me. I did what was best for them, and that was agreeing to give their father custody. BUT, I never... not once.... considered giving up my parental rights. THAT'S what we are all so up in arms about here. Not the fact that you feel it's in her best interest to go live with her dad, but the fact that you want to sign over all your rights as her mother. And to be honest with you, you still have not said WHY it's in her best interest to go there. Nothing you've said in any of your posts address that issue. She "does good" when she's with them. (Of course she does, it's a visit. Dad can give the moon and stars and she'll take it all.) Dad's wife is a teacher. (So...?? There arent teachers at her current school that tutor if someone needs extra instruction?) Dad isn't in the military anymore and can be there with her all the time. (Yeah, after school during the week, and all day on Saturday and Sunday. Is this any different than your schedule with her?) See what I'm saying?

You say he is a good dad. Does a good dad use their child like he's been doing?? " The other day I asked for help to pay for Karate classes for her because I thought a physical extracurricular activity would do her good. But the classes cost $210. He told me he would not help to pay for them because I never offered to pay for any activities they put her in when she visits over the summer. LAst year she begged him for soccer cleats, but because I put her in Soccer he refused to help her out. All this is to upset me but she feels it too." "Sure, they make me seem like the scum of the earth when they talk about me to her, to the point where she doesn't want to talk to me when I call, BUT I DON"T CARE ABOUT ME!! I want whats best for her" And what about these statements of the way her father acts makes you think it's in her best interest to send her there? Refusing to pay for her cleats simply because YOU signed her up for it and not him?? How childish is that?? They run you in the ground and make you out to be Satan himself, but this is in her best interest? You said that there are so many people that use their children as pawns to get back at their ex, and that's something you would never do. Can't you see that's just what he's doing?? Her being there with him, and having him degrade you like he does is in her best interest? No, it's not. Seems to me like dad has some control issues, and he's using her as a way to still control you. That's sad. *childish whiney voice* "You signed her up for soccer? Then I'm not paying for her cleats... just to get back at YOU. If it had been me, then I'd buy them, but since you did it, I'm not paying. HA HA!!! That'll show YOU!" But who really suffered? Not you.... your daughter. I don't see how any of this is in her best interest.

But anyways.... giving him custody is one thing. Totally signing over your parental rights is another. You'll never again have the right to talk to her. Never again have the right to see her. Never again have the right to go to any of her sports or school events. Never again have the right to call her up on the phone, or have her call you. Never again have the right to be called if something should happen to her, like an accident. Never again have the right to make any decisions at all concerning her. Is that what you want? Because if you sign over your rights, that's what you'll have to deal with. And if you DO sign them over, you'll still have to pay child support for this child you have no rights to anymore unless her stepmom adopts her. CS is figured on the incomes of both parents, a percentage assigned to each parent, and you pay the guideline amount for Oklahoma. Nope, you can't just "send what you can" at the end of the month. You don't pay the court ordered amount, you can go to jail.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">