• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Voluntary Termination Of Parental Rights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

NEWMOMMY315

What is the name of your state? CT.
:confused: I AM PREGNANT AND DUE ON THE 15TH OF MARCH. THE FATHER OF THE CHILD JUST GOT OUT OF JAIL(FOR A DUI/4 MONTHS), HAS TWO OTHER CHILDREN HE PAYS CHILD SUPPORT FOR. WELL, WILL BE PAYING AGAIN AS SOON AS HE FINDS A JOB WHO WILL TAKE A FELON NOW. HE SEEMS UNINTERESTED NOW IN PROVIDING ANY CARE FOR THE CHILD AND HE HAS SPOKEN ABOUT SIGNING HIS RIGHTS OVER. TO BE HONEST WITH YOU HE IS 35 YEARS OLD AND IM NOT TOO SURE I WANT HIM TO HAVE ANY CONTACT WITH THE CHILD CONSIDERING THE ACTIONS HE WAS TAKING BEFORE HE WENT TO JAIL KNOWING I WAS PREGNANT. HE BECAME ABUSIVE PHYSICALLY AND STARTED TO ABUSE ALCOHOL TERRIBALLY!1. IF HE SIGNS OVER HIS RIGHTS DOES SOMEONE ELSE HAVE TO ADOPT THE CHILD? OR CAN HE SIGN OVER RIGHTS WITHOUT ADOPTION?
2. IF HIS RIGHTS ARE SIGNED OVER WITHOUT AN ADOPTION WILL HE STILL HAVE TO PAY ANY CHILD SUPPORT?
3. I REALLY DONT FEEL LIKE GOING TO COURT 20 TIMES A YEAR TO CHANGE THE AMOUNT OF CHILD SUPPORT BECAUSE HE CANT KEEP A JOB, SO SHOULD I LET HIM SIGN OVER HIS RIGHTS AND NOT WORRY ABOUT IT? I AM WORKING TWO JOBS RIGHT NOW AND WILL HAVE MY PARENTS HELP THANKFULLY.
4. SHOULD HE PUT HIS NAME ON THE BIRTH CERTIFICATE EVEN IF HE HAS OR HAS NOT DECIDED TO SIGN OVER HIS RIGHTS?
5. AND FINALLY WHAT QUALIFICATIONS ARE THERE TO SIGN YOUR RIGHTS OVER IF NO ONE IS ADOPTING?
THANK YOU FOR YOUR INPUT IT IS GREATLY APPRECIATED. THIS IS ALL NEW FOR ME. :)

Last edited:

Silverplum

It's REALLY CLEAR that you have done absolutely no reading or research on this topic, even within these forums. So go do a bunch of that.

And don't post in all caps--it's hard to read.

NEWMOMMY315

Ive done alot of reading what I can find at least. You go to a search site and type in Termination of Paternity Rights. You get alot of stuff that is irrelavent to your situation. No one is adopting my child after he decides to sign his rights over(if he even can), I will be a single mother. Im looking for advice from someone who has been in my situation. So if your just going to reply with stupid sh*t dont bother.

You answered your own question. No one is adopting your child, therefore, you cannot terminate the parental rights of the biological father. You might as well get used to the idea of daddy being in the picture.

S

seniorjudge

stepmom&mom said:
You answered your own question. No one is adopting your child, therefore, you cannot terminate the parental rights of the biological father. You might as well get used to the idea of daddy being in the picture.
...agreed...

casa

NEWMOMMY315 said:
What is the name of your state? CT.
:confused: I AM PREGNANT AND DUE ON THE 15TH OF MARCH. THE FATHER OF THE CHILD JUST GOT OUT OF JAIL(FOR A DUI/4 MONTHS), HAS TWO OTHER CHILDREN HE PAYS CHILD SUPPORT FOR. WELL, WILL BE PAYING AGAIN AS SOON AS HE FINDS A JOB WHO WILL TAKE A FELON NOW. HE SEEMS UNINTERESTED NOW IN PROVIDING ANY CARE FOR THE CHILD AND HE HAS SPOKEN ABOUT SIGNING HIS RIGHTS OVER. TO BE HONEST WITH YOU HE IS 35 YEARS OLD AND IM NOT TOO SURE I WANT HIM TO HAVE ANY CONTACT WITH THE CHILD CONSIDERING THE ACTIONS HE WAS TAKING BEFORE HE WENT TO JAIL KNOWING I WAS PREGNANT. HE BECAME ABUSIVE PHYSICALLY AND STARTED TO ABUSE ALCOHOL TERRIBALLY!1. IF HE SIGNS OVER HIS RIGHTS DOES SOMEONE ELSE HAVE TO ADOPT THE CHILD? OR CAN HE SIGN OVER RIGHTS WITHOUT ADOPTION?
2. IF HIS RIGHTS ARE SIGNED OVER WITHOUT AN ADOPTION WILL HE STILL HAVE TO PAY ANY CHILD SUPPORT?
3. I REALLY DONT FEEL LIKE GOING TO COURT 20 TIMES A YEAR TO CHANGE THE AMOUNT OF CHILD SUPPORT BECAUSE HE CANT KEEP A JOB, SO SHOULD I LET HIM SIGN OVER HIS RIGHTS AND NOT WORRY ABOUT IT? I AM WORKING TWO JOBS RIGHT NOW AND WILL HAVE MY PARENTS HELP THANKFULLY.
4. SHOULD HE PUT HIS NAME ON THE BIRTH CERTIFICATE EVEN IF HE HAS OR HAS NOT DECIDED TO SIGN OVER HIS RIGHTS?
5. AND FINALLY WHAT QUALIFICATIONS ARE THERE TO SIGN YOUR RIGHTS OVER IF NO ONE IS ADOPTING?
THANK YOU FOR YOUR INPUT IT IS GREATLY APPRECIATED. THIS IS ALL NEW FOR ME. :)
1. No, he cannot "sign over" his rights without someone willing to take responsibility in his place via adoption.

2. He can't sign his rights over~ And No, he pays no child support until/unless you file in court for it. In order to receive child support, you need to establish paternity first- then file for support. Once you establish paternity, however you open the door to him having Parental rights.

3. You don't go to court 20 times a year for child support. The court calculates an amount and he pays it. If he doesn't pay it he goes into arrears. You then file to enforce it through Child Support Enforcement...if he still does not pay it, they will handle it via wage garnishment, tax return seizure, fines &/or jail time. Either way, the amount doesn't change everytime his job does- The only way he'd be able to change the amount is IF he filed to modify it in court- at which point he'd have to justify and explain why he wants it changed. If he did that repeatedly, a judge would get irritated and he'd refuse to change the amount.

4. If he doesn't WANT any rights to the child, why would he sign the birth certificate? If you agree to him not having any rights, and he doesn't want them- Don't have him sign the birth certificate, Don't file for support, and he can stay away. However, anyway you handle this situation- the father will, at any time in the next min. of 18 years be able to petition the court to establish paternity and get custody or visitation rights.

5. Guidelines for the process of Terminating Parental Rights &/or Guidelines for Adoption can be found by looking online at CT state Family Law Codes. Type in the search function and read what the requirements are in the state of CT.

BONUS ANSWER: Do Not insult people giving you advice, or you won't get any more :rolleyes:

Silverplum

casa said:
BONUS ANSWER: Do Not insult people giving you advice, or you won't get any more :rolleyes:
Dangit, it doesn't WORK if everyone comes along and gives answers!! :D

The general TONE of the OP just didn't work for me this morning. ;)

casa

Silverplum said:

LOL...I recommend more coffee ;) (Works for me!)

OPs tone will be addressed in CA court. :D

S

seniorjudge

Silverplum said:

....agreed....

jane doe 52

yes, you can have his parental rights terminated. and then you and only you are liable for the child, unless you marry and allow that person to adopt.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">