• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Voluntary Termination of Parental Rights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JBeck7

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

My ex-husband and I have been divorced for 5 years. We have 3 children ages 15, 13 and 10. Recently due to hi alcohol abuse and mental abuse the two oldest children have refused to visit their father for his every other weekend visits. My ex has a long, very long history of documented domestic violence with me as the victim. The two oldest (girls) feel as if he has picked up with them where he left off with me.

I have filed to take him back to court for full custody (sole) due to the recent problems with the children. I am also asking for an increase in child support as he has only been paying 50.00 every two weeks.

He notified me yesterday that he wants to sign over his rights to the two oldest girls yet retain joint custody of our son who is 10.

I have been told he can not do this. However what grounds do I need to prove to be awared sole custody?

Banned_Princess

Sounds to me like you will get what you are asking for. (including a modification hearing for the child support)

Bring in the letter showing he has no interest in seeing the kids. The judge might award visitation as parties mutually agree.

Proserpina

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

My ex-husband and I have been divorced for 5 years. We have 3 children ages 15, 13 and 10. Recently due to hi alcohol abuse and mental abuse the two oldest children have refused to visit their father for his every other weekend visits. My ex has a long, very long history of documented domestic violence with me as the victim. The two oldest (girls) feel as if he has picked up with them where he left off with me.

I have filed to take him back to court for full custody (sole) due to the recent problems with the children. I am also asking for an increase in child support as he has only been paying 50.00 every two weeks.

He notified me yesterday that he wants to sign over his rights to the two oldest girls yet retain joint custody of our son who is 10.

I have been told he can not do this. However what grounds do I need to prove to be awared sole custody?

Could you elaborate on the bolded please?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Sounds to me like you will get what you are asking for. (including a modification hearing for the child support)

Bring in the letter showing he has no interest in seeing the kids. The judge might award visitation as parties mutually agree.
If dad has a lawyer, I can see the lawyer having the letter excluded due to the fact that it is considered NEGOTATION.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
What letter?? :confused:
There was "notice" that he wanted to turn over rights. Someone said it was a letter and i responded to it. But true -- there was NO mention by the OP of a letter saying that. Just that he notified her.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">