• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Want custody of my niece

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

civicessa

What is the name of your state? Texas
My husbands 13 year old niece that gets verbally abused by her father and mother (who are Divorced) wants to come and live with me and my husband, She has lived with me in the past when her mother was not able to take care of her and her father was in prison, but was taken back when mother wanted to show new husband that she was a "good" mother.This child has spoken to me about suicide just so she would not have to deal with her overly controlling and verbally abusive father, Have attempted to speak with the mother on this but all she says is that it is the daughters fault that she is going through this and refuses to help her even after telling her that her daughter has spoken about suicide. I want to know what we need to do and what legal rights as a uncle and aunt do we have to save this child from the parents.

civicessa

Want Custody of my Niece

The child has contacted the police once but the mother began to call her every name in the book and yell at her and threaten her that if she ever called the police or CPS she would do something. This child is so afraid of both her parents and what they might do to her if she talked to someone about it that she will not open up to no one but me and my husband. Both myself, my husband and her grandmother have been witnesses to the verbal abuse, I just dont want her to suffer while the investigation goes on if she remains in the mothers custody, Her mother is a very vindictive person and i fear for her.

moburkes

Most kids disagree with their parents as teenagers, and have arguments. Many parents aren't the best parents, but its not illegal to not be a good parent. If you feel that she is in
danger" then, contact the authorities. If they determine that she needs to be removed from the parent's household, they will document that in their findings.

W

wandasdaddy

sorry you cant get custody of niece

What is the name of your state? Texas
My husbands 13 year old niece that gets verbally abused by her father and mother (who are Divorced) wants to come and live with me and my husband, She has lived with me in the past when her mother was not able to take care of her and her father was in prison, but was taken back when mother wanted to show new husband that she was a "good" mother.This child has spoken to me about suicide just so she would not have to deal with her overly controlling and verbally abusive father, Have attempted to speak with the mother on this but all she says is that it is the daughters fault that she is going through this and refuses to help her even after telling her that her daughter has spoken about suicide. I want to know what we need to do and what legal rights as a uncle and aunt do we have to save this child from the parents.
if mom is found unfit, dad would be first in line for custody, he has more rights then anyone else. untill your niece is 18, she cannot live with anyone else without mom's permission. id be careful about talking to mom about this, she may take this as interference, and cut you off from contact with your niece, which she would be within her rights to do.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">