• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

want guardianship for child of mentally ill mother

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

BlondiePB

sweetpea,
I concur with the advice of it's time to call an attorney. An attorney can assist acquiring needed information. Since you now have a phone number, have you tried using one of those reverse phone directories that are accessible on-line? Who knows, you just might hit the "jackpot" and obtain an address. That would be great!! I looked in several of CA's guardian codes. There was no mention of Foster Care. You are applying for guardianship not a foster parent. It may be best to leave foster care people out of this for now. An attorney will properly advise you. A public/professional guardian for your mother would be a good idea. Especially since your aunt is a contributor to the "cover-up," neglect, etc. You are doing the right thing. Go for it!!

rmet4nzkx

BlondiePB said:
sweetpea,
I concur with the advice of it's time to call an attorney. An attorney can assist acquiring needed information. Since you now have a phone number, have you tried using one of those reverse phone directories that are accessible on-line? Who knows, you just might hit the "jackpot" and obtain an address. That would be great!! I looked in several of CA's guardian codes. There was no mention of Foster Care. You are applying for guardianship not a foster parent. It may be best to leave foster care people out of this for now. An attorney will properly advise you. A public/professional guardian for your mother would be a good idea. Especially since your aunt is a contributor to the "cover-up," neglect, etc. You are doing the right thing. Go for it!!
Blondie, the Aunt is the one applying to be a foster parent, not OP, however that was a source of her address since she had applied, her aunt's number is too new to be found with a reverse directory, unfortunately however the police can get it from the telephone company. In this case her best bet is to go through CPS since we know at least the child is in danger, and APS if and when the aunt allows communication when the mother is not competent, it sounds like the mother is being help prisoner of sorts.

I am very concerned that OP fears for her safety if her family becomes upset, family systems can be very complex when they are hiding something. Why is the family afraid to give her her mothers address?

BlondiePB

rmet,
I do understand that OP is applying for guardianship of her sister and that OP's aunt is contributing to this neglect. From sweatpea's first post (that I reviewed again), sweatpea stated that her aunt is trying acquire foster children. :eek: I did not see where aunt of OP is applying to be OP's little sister's foster mother. Glad to hear OP has made some progress. An attorney would be helpful when things get rolling, especially since OP is expecting contest. Reverse phone directory was just a thought. Totally agree with the CPS and APS stuff. :)

rmet4nzkx

BlondiePB said:
rmet,
I do understand that OP is applying for guardianship of her sister and that OP's aunt is contributing to this neglect. From sweatpea's first post (that I reviewed again), sweatpea stated that her aunt is trying acquire foster children. :eek: I did not see where aunt of OP is applying to be OP's little sister's foster mother. Glad to hear OP has made some progress. An attorney would be helpful when things get rolling, especially since OP is expecting contest. Reverse phone directory was just a thought. Totally agree with the CPS and APS stuff. :)
Right, I thought you meant the OP was applying for foster care, no it was a source of aunt's address, no doubt she wasn't planning on foster care for niece, aunt for what has happened should not get a foster care license. There is something seriously wrong. Families can interfere and cause a lot of harm in the course of trying to be nice and abuse far more than when the system is involved, people can't believe what otherwise nice people can do when they get control over a relative's business.

BlondiePB

Something sure is "fishy" here, and OP is smart enough not only to recognize it, she's motivated. OP's aunt sounds as though she had a starring role in one of those old horror "auntie" movies. You better believe I know what kind of abuse happens with relatives, especially financial. It's really pitiful.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">