• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Want to live with a different parent

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

logan8

I live in Arkansas, I'm 16 years old. My parents divorced about a year ago. My dad (sort of unaware of what he was doing) gave my mother full custody. The thing is, I'd rather live with my father and have him be my guardian. He supports this, but we'd like to know if I have a choice in who my guardian is, whether we need to take my mother to court or something, or any process that can get me under my dad's guardianship. Thanks in advance guys, much appreciated, first time here :)

If any additional information is needed, I will do my best to provide.

Last edited:

cyjeff

To change custody, dad has to go back to court and prove that your being under his roof is better than your being under mom's roof.... and he will, usually, also have to present the compelling reason (the "change in circumstance") that the judge should consider the case at all.

logan8

Thanks for the replies. My mother will probably contest the request to live with my father, she thinks if I live with my father I won't do schoolwork, he won't punish me for not doing schoolwork, etc.
Is there anything I could do if this situation occurs? I am sure that my father will make sure I'm doing my schoolwork, but my mother doesn't believe that.

Last edited:

janM

Why don't you just be a good boy, and do your schoolwork? It's for your benefit, not your parents'.

In 2 years you can go live with Dad. In the meantime, enjoy your time with him. It would possibly take most of those 2 years to hash it all out in court anyway.

Proserpina

Thanks for the replies. My mother will probably contest the request to live with my father, she thinks if I live with my father I won't do schoolwork, he won't punish me for not doing schoolwork, etc.
Is there anything I could do if this situation occurs? I am sure that my father will make sure I'm doing my schoolwork, but my mother doesn't believe that.

You have to understand that legally speaking, you are utterly powerless here - this is between your parents.

If Dad wants custody, he needs to petition the court. Your preference may (or may not) be taken into consideration.

logan8

Thanks again, guys. I guess my dad will have to do this solo. How weighty is my opinion/wants here?

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
What are your reasons for wanting to live with Dad, for starters?

And why does Mom believe Dad isn't going to parent you appropriately?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">