• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Warrant for non-payment of support for ex

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

Mei-Mei

I am presently living in Louisiana.

My ex-husband and I were married and divorced in Indiana. Our child support order was issued from there.

Because my ex-husband is so behind in child support and because he missed a court date a warrant was issued for his arrest in Indiana. He subsequently moved to Colorado.

I have recently found his address and where he is working. I reported that information to the Indiana Office of Child Support, but they said it was not 'worthwhile' to extradite him from Colorado to Indiana on the warrant.

He changes jobs quite frequently, so I am unable to have the Indiana courts garnish his checks. Is there a way I can have the warrant served and pay for his extradition?

Is there any option other than having Vito & friends break my ex-husband's kneecaps?
:rolleyes:

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Mei-Mei said:
I am presently living in Louisiana.

Is there a way I can have the warrant served and pay for his extradition?

==================================

My response:

Have you proffered that suggestion to the D.A.'s office? If so, what did they say? If not, why not?

IAAL

M

Mei-Mei

Thanks for your timely response.

In all honesty I have not yet made that offer to the D.A. I was unsure of the legalities of the whole thing and I didn't want to sound ridiculous. I was so angry and frustrated that I really didn't know what to say when the child support office said they wouldn't be pursuing the case.

Do you think I should present this offer to the D.A.? Is this something that you've heard of a plaintiff doing before?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Mei-Mei said:
Thanks for your timely response.

In all honesty I have not yet made that offer to the D.A. I was unsure of the legalities of the whole thing and I didn't want to sound ridiculous. I was so angry and frustrated that I really didn't know what to say when the child support office said they wouldn't be pursuing the case.

Do you think I should present this offer to the D.A.? Is this something that you've heard of a plaintiff doing before?

My response:

Quite honestly, I've never heard of a Petitioner/Plaintiff bankrolling the State. However, there's a first time, I imagine, for everything.

If you've got the money to pay for an officer, plus food and lodging, plus airfare for two, I can't imagine the State saying "No." In fact, your offer would be in the State's best interests (if not your own) because the State can send a message to your ex that Indiana is not a State that you can spit upon. Like any other State, funds are few and far between, and must be spent on the more egregious crimes.

So, make the offer if you can afford it. What's the worst thing they can say to you?

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">