• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Weekly visitation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

stevenickim916

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Missouri
For 6 years my ex husband has had every other weekend, holidays shared and sometimes a day during the week visitation with our 3 children. He pays child suppport. We went to a mediator to discuss things and he says he wants the kids a week at atime and me have them a week at a time. He also says he should stp sending child support since he has them half the time. Is it a legal obligation for me to stop the child support? I think it will be bad for the kids if we do the week thing, They have had a loving home with me and their step dad for 5 years now. Is this a normal arrangement with parents? This week we are doing a trial run. i am missing them so bad I cant stand it. What should be done here? is this really good for them?

Silverplum

For 6 years my ex husband has had every other weekend, holidays shared and sometimes a day during the week visitation with our 3 children. He pays child suppport. We went to a mediator to discuss things and he says he wants the kids a week at atime and me have them a week at a time. He also says he should stp sending child support since he has them half the time. Is it a legal obligation for me to stop the child support? I think it will be bad for the kids if we do the week thing, They have had a loving home with me and their step dad for 5 years now. Is this a normal arrangement with parents? This week we are doing a trial run. i am missing them so bad I cant stand it. What should be done here? is this really good for them?
It's better for children to spend time with their father than their stepfather. Their stepfather has nothing to do with anything, ever.

Whether or not you miss them is irrelevant. And there is no need for CS -- you have a week, he has a week. Why should you get paid?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
I notice you trivialize and marginalize dad in this -- a loving home with you and your husband? Your husband means nothing. As for the week on week off -- it can be very good for some children. The issue is that YOU are missing them and it may not be good for you. But your feelings dont' really matter. You need to toughen up quite frankly. Because the only reason it wont' be good for them at this point is because they detect it is HURTING you that they are spending time with dad.

profmum

Whether or not you miss them is irrelevant. And there is no need for CS -- you have a week, he has a week. Why should you get paid?

SP, you should know better than to give this response, even in a 50-50 schedule, CS can be paid to the parent with the lower income.. that is the statute in CO.
OP I dont know what the CS laws are in MO so look into it. As for missing your kids, get over it, it is NOT the reason to take it to court. As for it being good for the kids, a lot of that has to do with your attitude about it.

Silverplum

SP, you should know better than to give this response, even in a 50-50 schedule, CS can be paid to the parent with the lower income.. that is the statute in CO.
OP I dont know what the CS laws are in MO so look into it. As for missing your kids, get over it, it is NOT the reason to take it to court. As for it being good for the kids, a lot of that has to do with your attitude about it.
:rolleyes: What point does the statute in CO have to this post? None. You didn't bother to look them up, either, Queen WannaBee. :rolleyes:

And...I made my point to the OP, didn't I? :p

profmum

:rolleyes: What point does the statute in CO have to this post? None. You didn't bother to look them up, either, Queen WannaBee. :rolleyes:

You gave incorrect advice about CS being "not necessary" if the parents have a week on, week off.. that is irresponsible especially for a senior like yourself who has made it a point to ream any posters who do the same. So get responsible or stop posting.. same advice you dispense liberally!

mommyof4

You gave incorrect advice about CS being "not necessary" if the parents have a week on, week off.. that is irresponsible especially for a senior like yourself who has made it a point to ream any posters who do the same. So get responsible or stop posting.. same advice you dispense liberally!
What authority do you have to tell ANYBODY to stop posting? Were you elected supreme moderator or owner of FA by top secret ballot while we weren't looking?

Feel free to POLITELY correct any misinformation, as long as you can back up said correction with valid links to valid information (you know...like a STATUTE). In other words, put up or shut up.

I was going to actually look up the info and post it, but now I think that I will leave it up to you. After all, you KNOW you are correct, right?

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
What authority do you have to tell ANYBODY to stop posting? Were you elected supreme moderator or owner of FA by top secret ballot while we weren't looking?

Feel free to POLITELY correct any misinformation, as long as you can back up said correction with valid links to valid information (you know...like a STATUTE). In other words, put up or shut up.

I was going to actually look up the info and post it, but now I think that I will leave it up to you. After all, you KNOW you are correct, right?
Oh, well, she's right all the time. She knows everything. Nothing anyone else can say will ever prove her wrong about anything. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

profmum

You need to stop reacting and remember this is the advice that is often given (and liberally by some more than others) when incorrect information is posted. Just because I state it and not one of the posters you adore, does not make it any less valid. OP does not live in CO, so the utility of posting links to the CO statue is not useful. As for "politely" correcting any misinformation, last time I checked this about legal advice and not hurt feelings? You and no "more authority" than I do about posting.. so feel to post and say whatever you want in the post just like I do.

This hypocrisy is so childish, we rip posters to shreds for saying the anything we don't like or approve and for the most part that "ripping" apart is beneficial because it wisens one up about what a courtroom can do and what should be the right terminology and attitude about coparenting etc. We constantly tell posters that this is not about politeness because in a courtroom there is little room for that.I know it was the best thing for me.

But yet if a popular poster makes the same mistake, other posters like yourself get so outragad if that poster gets called on it.
If this is a legal forum, then equality is the first order we need to establish. Popularity contests don't win legal battles.

On top of that you choose to be even more childish by saying " I was going to look up things but now because I am not going to".. How exactly is that useful?

Finally to quote you " put up or shut up" is very polite! So take your own advice before you get outraged!

Last edited:

LdiJ

I am sure that you did make your point. However, since you are one of the ones who is very quick to point out that this is a LEGAL forum, and answers are supposed to be legal answers only (at least if presented by someone other than those you deem worthy) its a bit hypocritical of you to give a non legal answer...and present it as if its something other than your own personal opinion.

LdiJ

In the first place, you are not required to agree to a 50/50 schedule...you weren't even required to agree to a "trial run". If you don't think its in the best interests of the children then dad can take it in front of a judge and the judge can make the decision based on the arguments presented by each of you.

Until a judge signs off on an agreement or makes a ruling without an agreement, the original orders stand.

As far as child support is concerned, if a schedule is 50/50 then generally the parent with the higher income would be paying some child support...again unless the parties agree to something different.

CJane

In the first place, you are not required to agree to a 50/50 schedule...you weren't even required to agree to a "trial run". If you don't think its in the best interests of the children then dad can take it in front of a judge and the judge can make the decision based on the arguments presented by each of you.

Until a judge signs off on an agreement or makes a ruling without an agreement, the original orders stand.

As far as child support is concerned, if a schedule is 50/50 then generally the parent with the higher income would be paying some child support...again unless the parties agree to something different.
Absent an agreement between the parents, a 50/50 arrangement is unlikely to happen in MO. Also, MO is a shared income state w/credit for time spent with the children given ONLY at the judge's discretion - it's not a requirement.

Mom, I would NOT agree to the trial run at this point. Perhaps over the summer would be a better time to do-so as school would not be an issue.

Silverplum

This post is directed only at those who are unable to read and comprehend more than very simple concepts.

In my post, I wrote:
"And there is no need for CS -- you have a week, he has a week. Why should you get paid?"

Note that I did not write that she would not receive or pay CS. I did not write that it was impossible, nor that it was probable.

Note that I did not quote MO law, nor look it up. (Nor did I bring in some other state's law. :rolleyes:)

I merely asked a leading question, to make the OP think for a minute instead of merely reacting.

It wasn't difficult to figure out. :rolleyes:

CJane

This post is directed only at those who are unable to read and comprehend more than very simple concepts.

In my post, I wrote:
"And there is no need for CS -- you have a week, he has a week. Why should you get paid?"

Note that I did not write that she would not receive or pay CS. I did not write that it was impossible, nor that it was probable.

Note that I did not quote MO law, nor look it up. (Nor did I bring in some other state's law. :rolleyes:)

I merely asked a leading question, to make the OP think for a minute instead of merely reacting.

It wasn't difficult to figure out. :rolleyes:
WAY OT... have you seen the Bon Qui Qui stuff on youtube? HILARIOUS. And I think you might understand how it applies to this thread.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">