• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Weird question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Kentucky

This isn't quite a custody/visitation question, but not sure where else to put it. My step-daughter lives with her mom, she is 16, mom has custody, my husband has visitation and does not have a permit or a license. However, she is "a great driver" according to her, and drives her friend's car all the time. She actually brags about it to my husband when she comes up on the weekends. We obviously do not let her drive our vehicles, cannot do anything about her permit because in KY you have to have custodial parent with the teen as well as documentation from their school.

To my question, if the child were to get in an accident while driving, I'm guessing that the friend's insurance would not cover the accident because she's an unlicensed driver. Car owner I'm guessing could sue child and possible parents? I told my husband that I thought he should send a letter to his ex-wife stating that he does not agree with his daughter driving a friend's car without a license and that he will not be liable if she continues to allow this to happen. Would my husband be liable if the child were to get in an accident?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
It is possible that he would be held liable. What has he done when his daughter has told him she continues to break the law? Has he attempted to punish her? Has he talked to mom about it? Does mom know she drives?

It is possible that he would be held liable. What has he done when his daughter has told him she continues to break the law? Has he attempted to punish her? Has he talked to mom about it? Does mom know she drives?
He has told her not to, at this point he sees her once a week for dinner so his amount of parenting time is minimal and to be flat out honest, he doesn't do much parenting. If he rebuked her, she would not give him the time of day for the more see him. Mom does know she drives, mom is her bff.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">