• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Welfare, Who should pay it back?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

lvmykids

My step childs mother got on welfare when got pregnet. She did not finish school, she did not even attempt to find a job, she had no intentions, even after the baby was born. So this mom stayed on welfare untill the welfare reforum came around. So the mom moved to another state, then after she was 30, she got he first job ever. Any way the whole time she was on welfare, she intentsianly avoided my husband. Refusing visitation, and he tryed everything leagle. Any way she dosent have to pay one red cent back to the state where she resided. My husband has to pay it ALL back all $10,000.00!!! Dont you think that it should be 50/50? I have a poll vote.

K

kristine51

first of all she recieved welfare she should pay it back BUT was the daddy paying child support? was there ever a court order for c/s?
if there was a court order and he wasn't paying c/s while she was on welfare then he is responsible because he made no attempt to support his child, and she recieved welfare on account of that child.
no court ordered support she should be made responsible to pay it back.

L

lvmykids

A respond

Yes he did pay child support, and he also gave her money for other things that SHE needed. He was very much under age when the child was concived. She on the other hand was not under age.

She was offered many jobs after the baby was born, and she refused them all. She has no intentions of going to work, she only wanted to stay at home and live off of us all, like dear old mom.

I guess that I should have explained the situation more, I just did not want to go in to alot of detail.

And I might sound bitter, only because of this. Try and have all of your tax return's taken away from you, to pay off welfare, to witch you were never on. And my husband has a good amount taken out of his check also to pay this off and that dosent even pay the intrest. So yes I am very bitter. Not twords any of the posters but to the state in witch she resided, and to any one that has no intentions to pay back a dept, or admitt to wrong.

S

sistergal101779

your situation is alot like my sister-in-law and her husband.....his child support was taken out of his check before he got his check, his ex lived in calif. she was on welfare for years......he is having to pay it all back, his income tax check every year goes to pay it back. I hope everything works out for you, his kids are well over 18yrs, and he still owes 5,000.00 to warefare.

J

jenson

welfare fraud

Hi,
I am from CA. I have posted these similar stories like yours. My fiance's ex was on welfare before the child was born and for about 3 more years after without my fiance knowing. They were together for 1 year after the child was born. Also, my fiance's mother was taking care of the child until he was 3 1/2. When she filed for child support through the DA's office, that is when we found out she was on welfare. I contacted the Welfare Fraud Investigation unit and reporte her. They did an investigation but it was hard since she had been off it for about a 1 or so. The fact is, they are so fast at getting cs but they are so slow in prosecuting for welfare fraud. They won't take it to court unless they can get a conviction. I'd provide as much proof as possible. We even had pictures to prove but the investigator didn't even ask for that.
In the end, he owed $10k in arrears,down from $25k because they couldn't go all the way back to the beginning. If you have more questions, you can e-mail me personally at [email protected]. I am still trying to find ways to get her charged for welfare fraud because she deserves to go to jail. I believe she learned this trick from her own mother who is on welfare. Its a vicious cycle I tell you. And the system only makes it so easy for them to apply for welfare without questioning them hard on where the other parent is.

StarsMoon

THIS IS WHAT I AM AFRAID OF....

My hubby could possibly be facing the same thing. We found out about BM claiming Medicaid on their son. Child is 7 yrs. old and for 5 yrs now my hubby has has BCBS, dental ins, and paid her CS each month. All of this not court ordered. In the beginning of 2001 he took her to court. She deceided she didn't want hubby to visit with the child anymore. Thank the good lord that the company he worked for had a computer log of all the monies that they sent to her.
Anyways, we found that she has used the Medicaid for little Dr visits and used hubby's ins for everything else. I am afarid that when the State of Georgia finds out that she has had Medicaid on the child all the while that hubby has paid for ins, that State might decide to sue or prosecute him for all the money that they sent her.
Does anyone have any advice on who to call to find out if BM is getting assistance for the child?
Can anyone explain how BM would gett assistance when the ins pays 80/20 on everything.
Plus, it is court ordered that they pay 50/50 for everything that is not covered by ins.
Can BM be using the mnoney she gets from the State to pay for the stuff that is not covered by hubby's ins.????

Thanks for all responses.....

J

jenson

contact Medic-Aid

I'm sure it is a county thing. You just need to find out what the number is. If she got medic-aid, she probably got welfare too. Since your husband paid cs without a court order, so she thought she could get it both ways. You need to report her as soon as possible so that they can do an investigation. Maybe she only went off it recently. Because believe me, if they don't prosecute her and go after her for repayment, trust me, your husband will be the one to pay back. They don't care if he has proof, they want somebody to pay back the county's money. So hurry up and look for the phone number to report fraud before its too late.

P

Philosopher2002

Could Be Worse

I am only two years through college, and still have two years to go for my B.A. Then Another three years for Law School. I have no income and live with my grandparents. The baby has numerous problems, physical and mental. The mother takes her to the doctor at least two times a week. The baby has been flown by helicopter out of the town twice. Last I heard the amount that they are trying to get me to pay is about 25,000. The mother who is mostly at fault is getting a super deal, free health care and if things go they way they tell me at the hearing in March she will be receiving 170 a month. I will not drop out of school or compramise my studies and am going on school loans as I am completely broke. You can just imagine how much debt I am going to be in when I graduate from law school. :rolleyes: Great way to start out your career.

Ya Can read my bad luck story here https://forum.freeadvice.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=89216

S

snscorona

Before you all go bashing women on welfare without REALLY knowing how the system works...

FIRST of all, if the bio fathers REALLY wanted to establish paternity, support and visitation all they would have had to do is petition the courts.....

SECOND, there are several types of benefits offered for assistance, just because a person collects one does not mean they collect or even qualify for any others.

AND if you think about it... if bio father can prove he paid court order support while the state paid welfare, the father would not be liable to pay it back. Especially if it is through wage assignment that goes through the enforcement office or clerk of the court. Most state agencies have interlinked computers that would catch this type of activity by simply inputting a SSN....

Key phrase "court ordered", anything else is usually considered a gift. And remember medical coverage would be covered in the "court order" as well.

Now for those of you saying you pay support and provide medical coverage, make sure it is in your "court order", get a "court order" or modify your "court order".

StarsMoon

First Of All.........

First of All....
thats what hubby did.. he PETITIONED the courts. He didn't have to before cause BIO-TRAMP didn't give him any grief about seeing his son. WHY SHOULD SHE HAVE GONE TO COURT ABOUT THE CHILD AND HAVING IT ON RECORD THROUGH THE STATE. Hell, My husband paid that woman $400.00 a month. PLUS, carried all the NECESSARY INSURANCE. BIO-TRAMP WAS GETTING WHAT SHE WANTED!!!! Why should she be hassled....

SECOND OF ALL....
If a father is paying BM CS and INS then why doesn't he have the RIGHT to KNOW that HIS child is receiving assistance?
Can You Answer that??? Come on... tell another WHITE LIE for BM... I am not saying ALL BM's are this way. I know that there are GOOD ONES out there too. It does work bother ways. In fact, I have a USELESS FATHER. He deçided that he wanted the beer bottle more than my mother and their 2 kids. But that is neither here or there.
AND, thank the lord that the company my husband works for has ALL payments on computer back-up. Bio-Tramp, when hubby PETITIONED the COURTS (to see HIS SON) Bio-Tramp decided she wanted to tell the judge that my hubby had NEVER paid her ANY CS money... And on top of it... She also tried telling the judge that he NEVER CARRIED any INSURANCE on their child. Nor did she bring up the matter of her collecting Medicaid and whatever else she is receiving.. AND she still got custody. (GEORGIA CLAIMS"THE CALF BELONGES TO THE COW" What a load of SH*T. Not all MOTHERS SUCK. It's just that 90% are mothers on welfare. You HARDLY hear about a DAD who is trying to take advantage of the SYSTEM. Don't get me WRONG, like I said not ALL mothers are BAD but SOME of them out in this world don't deserve the RIGHT to bring a child in this world and then act like that.
IT JUST ISN"T RIGHT....
There is just as many dead-beat moms as there are dead-beat fathers. Everyone here is basically speaking of their own experiences.
DON'T GET A CHIP ON YOUR SHOULDER!!!!!
It's not directed at you!!!!

Come on... If a father is in the lives of his children, and pays his CS and whatever else, don't you think he has the RIGHT to know that his ex is collecting assistance.
I think so. Considering that the STATE could at any time decide that HE WILL BE THE ONE TO REIMBURSE THE STATE FOR THEIR IGNURANCE OF SUPPLYING BIO PARENT WITH A FRADULANT CLAIM.
THINK ABOUT IT.......

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">