• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

at what age can a child decide where they want to live

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jesslghs

What is the name of your state? fl

I have a 12 year old girl, her mom has custody who lives in new york. the mother was having problems with my daughter and sent her to me about 2 years ago. we wrote up a contract saying i was only to keep her for 1 school year. well now it is going on two, and her mother said she wants her back in june. My daughter wants to stay with me. She came from new york with all F's in school and now she is an A,B student. I heard that when a child hits a certain age they can decide which parent they want to live with. Any advice would be greatly appreciated

CJane

There's only one state in which a child can unilaterally decide where to live at any age under 18. In most states, however, once a child is between 12 and 14, a judge MIGHT allow them to voice a preference and MIGHT take that preference into account.

Your best bet is to file for a custody modification which reflects the current arrangement. Be prepared to show proof that the child has been living with you - school and medical records, etc - as well as proof that she's doing better with you than she was previously.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">