• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What age can a child decline to go on visitation?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

patricksmom93

What is the name of your state? I live in Ohio. My son is 12. There are times when he would rather do something with his friends or attend an activity. Is he old enough to say he doesn't want to go to his dad's house or go at a different time? There is nothing specific to this issue in our divorce agreement. Thank you.

Zephyr

visitation with a parent is more important than visiting with friends, the child can decide at 18

lisagr33

As many of the senior members will tell you, your son will be able to decide at age 18. If the court order say that your ex has son every other weekend then he has to do it. If you don't make him go, then the dad can find you in contempt for not making your son go.

The quickest way to lose your custody is to interfere with visitation.
Always make sure your child is available for scheduled visiatation, and try to work it out without going back to court...you might have a very liberal agreement...if it goes back to court to get set in cement, chances are you will actually shoot yourself in the foot.

The childs age to decide is 18.

LdiJ

Everyone gave you correct answers. However, there is no harm in ASKING dad if times or days can be changed or traded.

I once observed a judge, in court tell an ncp "expect to spend your weekends hauling your child around to activities and friends. That is part of being a parent."

Dad may understand that and be willing to participate with the child, invite friends of the child's to his house, or be willing to give up a few hours for a special occasion....or trade days if its something bigger. You don't know until you ask.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
patricksmom93 said:
Is he old enough to say he doesn't want to go to his dad's house or go at a different time?
Would you permit him to make this choice wrt school?

HomeGuru

patricksmom93 said:
What is the name of your state? I live in Ohio. My son is 12. There are times when he would rather do something with his friends or attend an activity. Is he old enough to say he doesn't want to go to his dad's house or go at a different time? There is nothing specific to this issue in our divorce agreement. Thank you.

**A: the age of majority.

flygrl

While I agree that visitation is very important - I don't think that the child should have to give up his activities.

When my children are home with me - we get a schedule of activies and make sure that each person (including me) gets to do something on the weekend if they want. We don't do everything - but if there is a party or sporting event we attend (or I drop them off).

Now when Dad comes to town, they are plucked out of their regular life to do things he plans. I think that is good if time allows - BUT I don't think that the children should have to have their lives put on hold when dad comes - HE should join in their activities.

Think about it this way. It spending time with Dad doing other things is more important than their regular lives - then why don't I do the same thing? Because then NOTHING would be about the children!!

There should definately be balance, but the child should not have to miss important lessons, games and social activies.

CVG

Whyte Noise

flygrl said:
While I agree that visitation is very important - I don't think that the child should have to give up his activities.

When my children are home with me - we get a schedule of activies and make sure that each person (including me) gets to do something on the weekend if they want. We don't do everything - but if there is a party or sporting event we attend (or I drop them off).

Now when Dad comes to town, they are plucked out of their regular life to do things he plans. I think that is good if time allows - BUT I don't think that the children should have to have their lives put on hold when dad comes - HE should join in their activities.

Think about it this way. It spending time with Dad doing other things is more important than their regular lives - then why don't I do the same thing? Because then NOTHING would be about the children!!

There should definately be balance, but the child should not have to miss important lessons, games and social activies.

CVG
Hmm... because you have the children for most of their lives and don't have to visit them with a time constraint via a court order? If you only had 48 hours at a time (or thereabouts) would YOU be willing to give up what little time you have? If not, then please don't expect the other parent to either.

The court order details the vistation. You have to follow it or risk being held in contempt. A parent/child relationship/timeshare takes precedent over a sport activity.

You speak of balance, but when you have the child for a majority of the time, that's not a balance. See what I'm saying?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">