• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What age does my child make his own decisions

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kathavnfun

What is the name of your state? California

My ex is suing me for more visitation of our 12 year old son. What age can my Son make up his own mind if he wants to go? It took him 11 years to start staying the night with his Dad and now he is scared because he wants him to visit longer times. He doesn't want to go.

LdiJ

stealth2 said:
When he's an adult. i.e. 18.
True. However if this is a case where dad was awol for much of the child's life the judge may takes the child's wishes into consideration to some extent regarding how much visitation is ordered. I am not saying that the judge definitely WILL...just that the judge might.

karma1

In CA, mediation first....

a requirement by the courts before meeting with a judge and that is where many cases are won and lost---most folks don't realize the importance of mediation.
OP--when is mediation or has this already happened?
And the statement from a child, "I don't want to go" will not be enough to keep visitation from happening.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">