• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What age to leave child home alone

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

syskjw

What is the name of your state? Fl.
I could not find a forum related to this sorry did not know where to post?
My question is does Florida have a law on what age a child can be left home alone?
How old can a teenager be to babysitt?

syskjw

I personally thought 12 years old to be left alone and 13 to baby sit. But of course I did not know if there was a law and what I think does not matter but I want to make sure.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
I think I'm just gonna bang my head against the wall until all y'all sort out how to answer this question.

CJane

i was home alone at 9. so were my neighbors.
So? Did you live in FL? Did you know that just because something happened, it doesn't make it legal?

Dumb ass.

OP ~ I can't find a statute to back up what I posted from that article. You should call family services or an attorney to find out.

T

tnr1983

No. And that was in the early 90's. And I think it makes it ok if your child is responsible. I just sat and watched tv until my parents got home. Big deal.

This is all depending.
The "emotional" age and the "chronogolical" age of children can differ. There are so many factors to consider that this question can not be so generalized.
Age limit, I saw 14 to babysit, there is a big but.
BUT, this depends on maturity and knowledge of the sitter.

This question will bring up more "personal" opinion than legal. IT really shouldn't matter what the leagal age is. It should matter that you can live with yourself if something bad were to happen to a CHILD left to fend for them selves. Anything can happen that the "mature seeming" child isn't ready to handle at that age. IF you can live with the risk, the child can live (or not) though the what if's.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">