• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

at what age a teen can decide to live with

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kenepovtx

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

Hi, my daughter is 17 yrs old, she will turn 18 on July '09. She came last summer to spent time with me, (mom have custody and lives in PA), she decided to stay and attend senior year here and start college right after that. Mom agree, but now mom wants her to move back after school is finished, my daughter dont want to go back and wants to stay with me and attend college here. what can i do?

Gracie3787

Hi, my daughter is 17 yrs old, she will turn 18 on July '09. She came last summer to spent time with me, (mom have custody and lives in PA), she decided to stay and attend senior year here and start college right after that. Mom agree, but now mom wants her to move back after school is finished, my daughter dont want to go back and wants to stay with me and attend college here. what can i do?
When is the last day of school in your county?

LdiJ

You don't have to do anything. Your daughter will be 18 in July of 09 and therefore it will be totally her own decision regarding where she lives and goes to college. She will be a legal adult and entitled to make her own decisions.

The only possible issue that you might have to deal with is if mom tries to force the child to move back to PA now, in the middle of her last semester as a senior. However, you have "status quo" now and could certainly challenge that and delay things to keep her in FL to graduate from high school...and again, once that happens there is literally nothing that mom can do.

LdiJ

gracie= last day of school i think is at the begining of june for pinellas county
Again, I think that you are dealing with a "non-issue"...unless mom tries to force the child to come back to PA NOW...which again, you can challenge and delay, the worst that can happen, and even that would be really wierd, is if somehow mom could force the child to come back to PA from the time school lets out until the child turns 18.

Once she turns 18, she is a legal adult and the court will no longer have any jurisdiction over her.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">