• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What constitutes a 5th weekend?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mcakids

Georgia is the name of my state.
I am the primary custodian of my four children. We do have joint custody but the children live with me during the week. My ex-husband has the kids each 2nd, 4th and 5th weekend of the month. I have them the 1st and 3rd weekends. This upcoming weekend, the Friday of the weekend falls on the 31st of Sept. The Sat and Sunday fall on Oct. 1 and 2 (the first weekend of the month). He is saying that Friday the 31st is the weekend start. I am saying that the weekend majority falls in October. He does not pick the kids up till Friday night at 6 pm. I feel that Oct. 1 and 2 (Sat and Sun) constitute the weekend so I should have the children. Can you please advise?

CJane

Generally speaking, a weekend begins on the Friday. So, the 5th weekend of the month begins on the 5th Friday.

adjusterjack

Can you please advise?
A fifth weekend happens in 2016 5 times.

Jan 29, 30, 31
Apr 29, 30, Mar 1
Jul 29, 30, 31
Sep 30, Oct 1, 2
Dec 30, 31, Jan 1

Presumable, he's already gotten the first three 5th weekends this year and, by your own definition, he will get Dec's 5th weekend since the majority of the weekend falls in Dec.

So, you are being a hostile lunatic over one weekend in a whole year.

You disgust me.

LdiJ

A fifth weekend happens in 2016 5 times.

Jan 29, 30, 31
Apr 29, 30, Mar 1
Jul 29, 30, 31
Sep 30, Oct 1, 2
Dec 30, 31, Jan 1

Presumable, he's already gotten the first three 5th weekends this year and, by your own definition, he will get Dec's 5th weekend since the majority of the weekend falls in Dec.

So, you are being a hostile lunatic over one weekend in a whole year.

You disgust me.
That might be a little overkill. If September didn't have a 5th weekend October absolutely would, so I doubt if she is trying to take a weekend away from dad. She may be honestly confused as to what constitutes a 5th weekend. Many people are until someone explains it to them. It gets asked here and down the street with great frequency by both parents with and without primary custody. She may have made plans honestly thinking that this was the first weekend in October.

If you will note, every other 5th weekend this year falls mostly in the month where its the 5th weekend. Its only THIS one that is mostly in the following month.

CTU

Meddlesome Priestess
Not to anybody who has ever had a hostile lunatic ex-wife. LOL.
And not to anybody who has ever hung around on legal forums reading pages and pages of petty crap from parents who can't seem to get over themselves.

LdiJ

Not to anybody who has ever had a hostile lunatic ex-wife. LOL.
Jack, you called this OP a hostile lunatic and told her she disgusted you when there was nothing hostile or lunatic in her post. She asked a question that MANY people ask, about a subject that confuses MANY people.

I think that you were unnecessarily nasty to the OP. Not just rude, but nasty. Sorry, but that is my opinion. I am not used to seeing that from you.

CTU

Meddlesome Priestess
That might be a little overkill. If September didn't have a 5th weekend October absolutely would, so I doubt if she is trying to take a weekend away from dad. She may be honestly confused as to what constitutes a 5th weekend. Many people are until someone explains it to them. It gets asked here and down the street with great frequency by both parents with and without primary custody. She may have made plans honestly thinking that this was the first weekend in October.

If you will note, every other 5th weekend this year falls mostly in the month where its the 5th weekend. Its only THIS one that is mostly in the following month.
Then might I suggest that Mommy or Daddy buys a couple of calendars for next year and clearly mark out in advance who has the kids and when?

Wow, what a simple but effective solution!

Or I suppose they could be told by a judge (while said judge is rolling his/her eyes to an almost painful degree) to suck up the cost of buying two memberships at MyFamilyWizard and do it through that, instead.

LdiJ

Then might I suggest that Mommy or Daddy buys a couple of calendars for next year and clearly mark out in advance who has the kids and when?

Wow, what a simple but effective solution!

Or I suppose they could be told by a judge (while said judge is rolling his/her eyes to an almost painful degree) to suck up the cost of buying two memberships at MyFamilyWizard and do it through that, instead.
Well of course marking a calendar is a good idea. However, if you go back and re-read her post it was a simple question about a subject that MANY people ask questions about. She did not complain about her ex or say nasty things about her ex, or in any way give any indication that she and her ex did not have a decent co-parenting relationship. All she did was explain their opposite points of view and asked for an answer. All of this hostility and snark towards the OP is uncalled for on this thread. CJane gave her a correct and factual answer and it could have simply ended there.

CTU

Meddlesome Priestess
Well of course marking a calendar is a good idea. However, if you go back and re-read her post it was a simple question about a subject that MANY people ask questions about. She did not complain about her ex or say nasty things about her ex, or in any way give any indication that she and her ex did not have a decent co-parenting relationship. All she did was explain their opposite points of view and asked for an answer. All of this hostility and snark towards the OP is uncalled for on this thread. CJane gave her a correct and factual answer and it could have simply ended there.
Thanks, Mom.

:cool:

Seriously though, you read it one way and I read an undercurrent of something else. It happens; we're each entitled to respond in the manner we deem appropriate. You're no more correct than anyone else ... and I'm no more correct than anyone else, either.

(We also have a habit of annoying each other in some way, shape or form at least once or twice a year. That's how we roll. Remember?)

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Thanks, Mom.

:cool:

Seriously though, you read it one way and I read an undercurrent of something else. It happens; we're each entitled to respond in the manner we deem appropriate. You're no more correct than anyone else ... and I'm no more correct than anyone else, either.

(We also have a habit of annoying each other in some way, shape or form at least once or twice a year. That's how we roll. Remember?)
That's how we roll. Damn I need my new monitor so I can listen to tunes!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">