• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What Constitutes Parental Kidnapping?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

USMCDad1970

I have a question regarding California state rules regarding the possibility of parental kidnapping charges being filed.
My friend has never been married to the other parent, has no court ordered custody or visitation decree but wants to move to Washington state for a new relationship and employment.
The father is a convicted sex offender of the child and a felon, but I don't know if this has any actual bearing on what the state would take into consideration. My friend is under the impression that she doesn't need to notify the father of the impending move and plans to file for custody once she gains residency in Washington state.
In the meantime, can the father bring parental kidnapping charges against the mother and be granted emergency custody or sole custody of the child?

Proserpina

I have a question regarding California state rules regarding the possibility of parental kidnapping charges being filed.
My friend has never been married to the other parent, has no court ordered custody or visitation decree but wants to move to Washington state for a new relationship and employment.
The father is a convicted sex offender of the child and a felon, but I don't know if this has any actual bearing on what the state would take into consideration. My friend is under the impression that she doesn't need to notify the father of the impending move and plans to file for custody once she gains residency in Washington state.
In the meantime, can the father bring parental kidnapping charges against the mother and be granted emergency custody or sole custody of the child?

Please have your friend sign up.

Thanks!

LdiJ

I am going to go ahead and partially answer this.

It would not be parental kidnapping because mom is the sole custodial parent by default.

If I understood you correctly dad has actually been convicted of sex offenses against the child in question? If that is truly the case, then no, dad would have no hope of any custody of the child.

However, dad could certainly file in court to try to force mom to return with the child to the jurisdiction, even if it ends up being temporary.

However, that is very general based on a very general scenario. Mom knows a whole lot more than you do about the situation and would be better off asking her questions herself.

Just Blue

Please clarify your post.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">