• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What is definition of unfit parent to a judge?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

5times_a_mom

If the answer is, as you confidently state, "fairly generic," then you should be posting it.

Or perhaps you should be worrying about your own question/s, and about getting caught up on your CS payments.

(That's just some generic advice.)
If I were a lawyer, I would answer it. There are many here that claim to be lawyers, but refuse to answer questions such as this.

As for my child support, I am getting caught up as fast as I can, thank you very much. It's just pretty difficult when a typo in my divorce decree is forcing me to pay child support for a full year that I still actually had custody of my children, and the judge won't change it because I didn't catch it soon enough, since all I wanted was to be divorced and away from this jerk.

Your commentary is very rude. Perhaps you should be reading Miss Manners instead of posting here.

futuredust

If I were a lawyer, I would answer it. There are many here that claim to be lawyers, but refuse to answer questions such as this.

As for my child support, I am getting caught up as fast as I can, thank you very much. It's just pretty difficult when a typo in my divorce decree is forcing me to pay child support for a full year that I still actually had custody of my children, and the judge won't change it because I didn't catch it soon enough, since all I wanted was to be divorced and away from this jerk.

Your commentary is very rude. Perhaps you should be reading Miss Manners instead of posting here.
Pot meet kettle.

No one has to answer a question they do not wish to. And you do not have to be an attorney to answer; if you know the answer.

In the future, read things before you sign them.

Proserpina

And who would they be?

Honey, please - stop it.

You're alienating the people who CAN help you.

YOU on the other hand have NOT helped this poster. You're doing nothing more than stirring up a pot of trouble.

5times_a_mom

:(Sorry, I sometimes get a little overly defensive about things, especially regarding my divorce. I apologize, and I apologize to the original poster as well. I will say that I never actually signed my divorce decree. My lawyer did that for me, and he didn't read it carefully enough either. I felt betrayed by my lawyer in more ways than one. I didn't feel like he fought for me. I didn't feel like he was looking out for me at all, and I still feel the sting of losing my children. I probably will until the day I die.

As far as the original question, in my experience, it depends on the judge. There are some who will just take someone's word for it, and others who will not declare a parent unfit without proof of severe abuse to the children. I would just pray that he gets a judge who will really take their time and look carefully at both sides of the case.

Proserpina

:(Sorry, I sometimes get a little overly defensive about things, especially regarding my divorce. I apologize, and I apologize to the original poster as well. I will say that I never actually signed my divorce decree. My lawyer did that for me, and he didn't read it carefully enough either. I felt betrayed by my lawyer in more ways than one. I didn't feel like he fought for me. I didn't feel like he was looking out for me at all, and I still feel the sting of losing my children. I probably will until the day I die.

Thank you :) It's all good.

As far as the original question, in my experience, it depends on the judge. There are some who will just take someone's word for it, and others who will not declare a parent unfit without proof of severe abuse to the children. I would just pray that he gets a judge who will really take their time and look carefully at both sides of the case.

This bit is wrong. I cannot think of a judge in the land who will simply take someone's word for it. Parents have a Constitutionally-protected right to parent their children. Terminating parental rights based upon being unfit is VERY serious business. It does not happen easily, nor on a whim.

It REQUIRES proof.

Just saying :)

Antigone*

Gee, why does it seem like someone is hijacking:rolleyes:

Isis1

If the answer is, as you confidently state, "fairly generic," then you should be posting it.

Or perhaps you should be worrying about your own question/s, and about getting caught up on your CS payments.

(That's just some generic advice.)
We've missed you!!!!!!!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">