• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What is definition of unfit parent to a judge?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

angieshue

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MO
When a parent is trying to get visits and custody of their child, what constitutes an unfit parent in eyes of the judge? My brother is going to have to have a supervised visit schedule due to his lack of ability to see his daughter, and there will be allegations he is unfit coming from the MOM. My brother will take any type of visits he can in order to see his daughter.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MO
When a parent is trying to get visits and custody of their child, what constitutes an unfit parent in eyes of the judge? My brother is going to have to have a supervised visit schedule due to his lack of ability to see his daughter, and there will be allegations he is unfit coming from the MOM. My brother will take any type of visits he can in order to see his daughter.
Your brother needs to post his own questions. And not start multiple threads.

Isis1

Is there a reason your brother is unable to posts his own questions?

An unfit parent in a legal manner is one that is unable to care for a child emotionally, physically and/or financially. And legally speaking, it's pretty low standards. The courts are aware of standard allegations by both parties.

angieshue

not needing advise from unhelpful people

There are people who might have actual help for my concerns and questions, if you don't, then DON'T respond, my brother does not have a computer and is not sure about his options, so I am asking the advise of those on this forum worth talking to. Thanks.

Isis1

There are people who might have actual help for my concerns and questions, if you don't, then DON'T respond, my brother does not have a computer and is not sure about his options, so I am asking the advise of those on this forum worth talking to. Thanks.
Local libraries have computers available for public use. There is also the option of allowing him to use your computer.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
He can't come to your house and use yours? He can't go to the library? He has no friends?

At the end of the day, this is HIS situation to deal with. He was a big enough boy to make a child. He's a big enough boy to start sorting this out himself. You are enabling him. Make him stand on his own two feet.

And... there will be questions that only HE can answer. You don't know it all.

Isis1

He can't come to your house and use yours? He can't go to the library? He has no friends?

At the end of the day, this is HIS situation to deal with. He was a big enough boy to make a child. He's a big enough boy to start sorting this out himself. You are enabling him. Make him stand on his own two feet.

And... there will be questions that only HE can answer. You don't know it all.
Someone is furiously typing right now!!

majomom1

You do not get to dictate who responds on an open forum.

Your brother really should be the one posting questions... if he truly wanted a relationship with his child he would move heaven and earth to do so.

Proserpina

There is a REASON why responders prefer not to answer third-party questions.

That is because the third party RARELY knows the actual facts of the situation.

Understand?

keyster67

My advice to you would be to look up your State's Court Website. They will define your question based upon the laws of your state. It's pretty easy to translate from there.:eek:

5times_a_mom

I'm going to come to the original posters defense here.

All she was asking for is the definition of an unfit parent. We don't know her situation or her brothers, but answering what most judges consider an unfit parent is fairly generic.

If there are more specific questions to be asked, she should definitely be asking her brother to do the posting for himself, but with generic questions, I don't think it should matter who does the asking.

Silverplum

All she was asking for is the definition of an unfit parent. We don't know her situation or her brothers, but answering what most judges consider an unfit parent is fairly generic.

If there are more specific questions to be asked, she should definitely be asking her brother to do the posting for himself, but with generic questions, I don't think it should matter who does the asking.
If the answer is, as you confidently state, "fairly generic," then you should be posting it.

Or perhaps you should be worrying about your own question/s, and about getting caught up on your CS payments.

(That's just some generic advice.)

futuredust

Before you go jumping in with both feet, you may be better served by reading the forums first. Then you may understand why the volunteers hesitate to answer third party questions.

This was not her first question, and will probably not be her last. A few may answer her, but most of the seniors will wait for the actual legal parent involved in the case to ask.

Rushia

Hijack!

Hi SP! I missed you!

end Hijack and sorry to the OP as I don't know what Mom is claiming (if she is actually claiming anything at all, your brother will only tell you the bad things). SO what is she supposedly claiming for your brother to be unfit.

futuredust

If the answer is, as you confidently state, "fairly generic," then you should be posting it.

Or perhaps you should be worrying about your own question/s, and about getting caught up on your CS payments.

(That's just some generic advice.)

Oh wow!

Welcome back!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">