• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What does Child Support Cover?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Bruno6301

:confused: Hi...Can someone tell me exactly what child support covers? My husband pays support, and provides them with an insurance plan/prescription plan. What expenses aren't covered by child support? Many thanks!:) If it matters, we are in the state of New Jersey...

R

Roscleo

I know you would really need to check the laws in your state but from what I understand, Medical insurance plans are seperate from the child support. Here in Ca they require the NCP to have medical coverage for the child if they can get it at reasonable cost through their place of employment. Ca can also force you to have a life insurance policy if available with the child as the beneficiary. Then there is also the costs for Daycare. All of these things are in addition to the Child Support Payment. Here is a link you can get to your states codes from.
www.dads4kids.com

usmcfamily

Child support covers ANYTHING and EVERYTHING that is for the care of the child -- this can be anything from groceries, clothing, rent (the child needs a home), utility bills (the child needs electricity and water), car payments (child needs rides), education costs (from tuition to crayons), etc............
There are SO many posts on here from time to time by NCP's complaining that "their child support" (just to clarify it is the CHILD'S child support ;) ) is going to pay for things for the CP -- that is why I am being so broad in my explanation of what and why the money goes where it goes. Many want to demand an accounting of what that specific amount of money is being used for but that is unrealistic considering the things it has to be used to provide for the child.
There are "addtional" items that there may be further $$ ordered for such as daycare (sometimes ordered as a separate amount and sometimes included in the general "child support" amount). There may be special amounts ordered for tuitions or special things (ie sports or activities the child is involved in).
In our case, I am the CP, the money goes directly into our checking account and is spent just like my husband's salary and my income -- to pay for our family's expenses......
I am not sure exactly what type of explanation it was you were looking for but I hope at least some of what I said either made sense or answered your question.

Q

qtpie

Yes, there are many NCP's who would like to know how the money that they're ordered to pay is being spent. Furthermore, there are many a CP who complain that they're not getting enough money.

What is the reason for the question, I'm wondering? Is the CP following her OWN version of the Order. You know, "alternate reality"?

If your DH is doing exactly as he's Court Ordered to do, then that is all he's legally obligated to do. He should follow his Order to the very last letter...and not feel guilty.

Bruno6301

Child Cupport Expenses

Thank you for the replies. I was asking on behalf of my husband. He pays $1300.00 a month for 3 kids, and provided medical, prescription coverage as well as life insurance on himself. She keeps asking and asking or rather demanding more money for this and that, and we just had a baby ourselves, and cannot pay out more. He does just as the agreement states, but we were just curious as to what exactly "child support" covers. Thanks.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">