• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What does it take?! (reverse custody)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

spacecop36

What is the name of your state? Florida..
I'll be as brief as I can..I'm a NCP with what's called "shared parental responsibility". Divorced since 1998 where my ex and I sat down civily and worked things out regarding kids, support, etc. Alot has happened since then. I'll be honest, we get along pretty well for the most part, she allows me to visit our kids quite a bit in addition to scheduled visitation. Kids are well adjusted, make good grades in school, etc. The gist of the situation is that she is jobless(got fired a few years ago), got in trouble with the law related to that. Her husband, who treats the kids good, does work but gets in trouble with the law sometimes for stuff like criminal traffic violations, and recently arrested for carrying a small amount of pot and being drunk in public. There living situation is with her sister who has 2 kids also along with my ex's total 4 kids. That makes 6 kids, 3 boys that sleep in one room, and 3 girls that sleep in the other, on one bed. Our kids are 12(boy) and 10(girl). The house and rooms are always really messy. I am the total opposite of all this. I live a clean life, have a very clean home where the kids have there own rooms but anytime I talk to an attorney, they tell me I don't have a strong enough case to change the custody. I'm just tired of the lifestyle they live in at there mom's..even though they appear happy. Does anyone have a similar case?..and what happened?

Last edited:

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Your lawyer's probably right, I'm afraid. If the kids are doing well (and it sounds as though they are), judges are loath to change their living situation. And while it may not be the best of situations, it's really not all that bad either. Have you talked to Mom about having the kids with you more?

spacecop36

basically, I do get them quite a bit. I'm very involved in there school, she's not. Anytime though I voice my concerns over that whole lifestyle, of course she gets offended and says she will start limiting my visitation with them, so of course I stress. It's the little things that irk me. Her forgetting things fairly often pertaining to the kids like school assignments etc...Hate that feeling like I have to just "suck it up" til maybe they get a little older and can really see which parent lives the straight life and which parent does'nt.

FLFamof5

Wow... I've said this line before...

spacecop36 said:
Hate that feeling like I have to just "suck it up" til maybe they get a little older and can really see which parent lives the straight life and which parent does'nt.
I know from experience as well that it's very dis-heartening to see your children in that type of condition. I'm in the same shared-parental situation that you are and at my home each of our two children have their own room and they have to share a room at the Ex's.

Regarding the schoolwork being missed... just talk with your kids more about the responsibility of school and try to teach them good study habits :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">