• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What forms do I need to file for custody?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Dallas1970

What is the name of your state? Missouri
My ex-girlfriend dropped my daughter off with me to live. The ex is homeless and is bi-polar and does not take her medicine. She just abandoned my daughter and I don't know where the ex is. Do I file abandonment papers to get custody or just file for custody and state that my daughter was abandoned and I don't know where to find her mother? Which forms do I need to file? Wouldn't it just be easier to file for custody and run an ad in the court papers?

Thanks for any help!
Dallas

Last edited:

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Have you been established as the LEGAL father? Also how long ago did she drop the child with you?

Dallas1970

Ohiogal,
Yes I am established as legal father and was paying child support she has been with me about 4 months.

Thanks

GrowUp!

Ohiogal,
Yes I am established as legal father and was paying child support she has been with me about 4 months.
You need to check your rules of procedure and/or court rules, but you might need to file an ex-parte change of custody and child support. The service process might take sometime because you will probably have to serve your ex at the last known address on record and then go through different processes if that fails.

Also, is your support being garnished via the CSEA? if so, you can try to call and speak to your case worker and see if the support is being sent or kicked back. Be prepared...they most likely will NOT give you her new address, so you might have to subpoena the CSEA for that information. But it doesn't hurt to try first.

Check the court that has jurisdiction's website to see if there are forms online you can fill out, print and take to the court. But you really should file for change of custody and for child support (and that your CS is stopped). Sometimes, when that support is cut-off, that brings the other parent out of the woodwork.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">