• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What happens during a child custody hearing?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Cla1

we're in TX, custodial parent and child live in Maine

My husband and I have finally saved up enough money to go after partial custody of his 4 year old daughter. He pays his child support faithfully. We live in a different state and its been hard getting up there to visit but when we do, every time, her mother denies him visitation. Since its in the divorce decree that she has sole custody, he can only visit with his daughter at her discretion (he had a very bad attorney at the time.) He's only been able to see his daughter once in four years. We were up there during X-mas and she hung up on him, wouldnt return his calls. We're about to hire an attorney and I've heard these things can get pretty nasty. I'm just wondering what to expect?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Last edited:

Isis1

we're in TX, custodial parent and child live in Maine

My husband and I have finally saved up enough money to go after partial custody of his 4 year old daughter. He pays his child support faithfully. We live in a different state and its been hard getting up there to visit but when we do, every time, her mother denies him visitation. Since its in the divorce decree that she has sole custody, he can only visit with his daughter at her discretion (he had a very bad attorney at the time.) He's only been able to see his daughter once in four years. We were up there during X-mas and she hung up on him, wouldnt return his calls. We're about to hire an attorney and I've heard these things can get pretty nasty. I'm just wondering what to expect?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
DAD can file for modification of a parenting plan. DAD may be expected to fully cover the costs of transportation for visitation.

YOU can expect to sit in the hall.

why has DAD only bothered to see his child only once?

Cla1

Like I said, we live out of state, times are tough and its hard to visit but when we have visited she denies him. He's only seen her once because thats all shes allowed him! I get what you're doing by capitalizing DAD, clearly, I'll sit in the hall, that wasnt my question. Thanks though, for "answering."

Isis1

DAD needs to file for a long distance parenting plan so mom can no longer legally deny visitation. DAD could have taken care of this four years ago. he chose not to. he better get the ball rolling ASAP.

Cla1

DAD just got enough cash to get the ball rolling but WIFE thanks you for your advice.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">