• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What is involved in becoming legal guardian

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sisterof17yrold

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? TN

I am a 36 year old married mother of three. I have a 17 year old half-sister who would like to live with us instead of our mother who is an alcoholic with some depression issues. Our mother is up and down. She does well for a while, and then she goes back downhill. She has a part-time job at a small retail store, but doesn't try to get a full time job. So all they are living off of is that small income and child support from the father (which is not that much). Our mother struggles financially and emotionally all the time, but doesn't try to do better. My sister's father hasn't been by to see her since she was about three or four. My sister has her own bed at our house and has been staying with us almost every weekend and through the summers since she was about five. If she moved in with us, how hard would it be to obtain guardianship so she could go to school here, get her driver license, etc? She will be 18 in April, and our mother doesn't have a problem with the situation.

Proserpina

And even if that happened the chances of it all being done and dusted before sister is 18 are slim.

It might honestly just be easier to wait out sister's birthday; she'll then be able to decide herself.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">