• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What is the Legal Age to Move out?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

msgee

I am trying to find out the legal age a juvenile may move out of there parents house without parental consent in the state of Florida.

Any and all information is appreciated.

Mick

LegalBeagle

msgee said:
I am trying to find out the legal age a juvenile may move out of there parents house without parental consent in the state of Florida.

Any and all information is appreciated.

Mick

Eileen T.

17 year old moving out (parent conflict)

I've been reading on the topic on different people's opinion is on the "Legal Age" for moving out, I've read a lot about the age 15 and i think that, yes that is still too young to leave the house but, I also think that it depends on how mature you are if it's to do with that age. Now I am wondering on your views about someone who is 17 and wanting to move out; can a parent legally force their 17 year old to stay home?

Jacon89

I've been reading on the topic on different people's opinion is on the "Legal Age" for moving out, I've read a lot about the age 15 and i think that, yes that is still too young to leave the house but, I also think that it depends on how mature you are if it's to do with that age. Now I am wondering on your views about someone who is 17 and wanting to move out; can a parent legally force their 17 year old to stay home?
Well, peoples' opinions on the "legal age" for moving out don't really matter much in reality. Unless a child becomes legally emancipated (which there's very little chance of), then they cannot move out without parental consent until they reach that state's age of majority (18 in this case). Can a parent legally force their 17 year old to stay home? By all means, yes they can. Mom and Pop become Johnny Law until you reach age of majority (or become emancipated, which you really won't).

Eileen T.

Well, peoples' opinions on the "legal age" for moving out don't really matter much in reality. Unless a child becomes legally emancipated (which there's very little chance of), then they cannot move out without parental consent until they reach that state's age of majority (18 in this case). Can a parent legally force their 17 year old to stay home? By all means, yes they can. Mom and Pop become Johnny Law until you reach age of majority (or become emancipated, which you really won't).
Ok, so could the situation change with this scenario?... what if the parent had already given consent to the 17 year old (to move out), for three months the 17 year old is doing well and succeeding but, the parent comes and decides to force the 17 year old to move back, And! what if being back with the family is only damaging the 17 year old because of problems between parents (being thrown back and fourth between fights and getting the blame thrown on him/her)?

Jacon89

Ok, so could the situation change with this scenario?... what if the parent had already given consent to the 17 year old (to move out), for three months the 17 year old is doing well and succeeding but, the parent comes and decides to force the 17 year old to move back, And! what if being back with the family is only damaging the 17 year old because of problems between parents (being thrown back and fourth between fights and getting the blame thrown on him/her)?
Until a person reaches age of majority, his or her parents can legally make them return home to live, no matter if consent had been given at any time prior to that point. As far as moving back home being 'damaging' to the 17 year old, that depends on the specifics of the case. If you're seeking emancipation, a court will decide whether or not moving home would be damaging to the child's wellbeing. At any rate, a child cannot decide whether or not this would be damaging to them, in a legal sense, and it makes no difference. CPS might have a say on the matter if it's a severe issue, but as far as moving out on your own for your own reasons, without a truly detrimental reprocussion to living in the parents' home, then the age of consent/parental consent laws still apply.

Eileen T.

Until a person reaches age of majority, his or her parents can legally make them return home to live, no matter if consent had been given at any time prior to that point. As far as moving back home being 'damaging' to the 17 year old, that depends on the specifics of the case. If you're seeking emancipation, a court will decide whether or not moving home would be damaging to the child's wellbeing. At any rate, a child cannot decide whether or not this would be damaging to them, in a legal sense, and it makes no difference. CPS might have a say on the matter if it's a severe issue, but as far as moving out on your own for your own reasons, without a truly detrimental reprocussion to living in the parents' home, then the age of consent/parental consent laws still apply.
ok... so the kid is not in school because he/she has to help the parent/s by working all the time, and when he/she wasn't living with the parent/s he/she was able to do school and focus on his/her future? isn't that a good enough reason. Lets say this child has missed two years of his/her High School because of this, isn't that enough reason?

Jacon89

ok... so the kid is not in school because he/she has to help the parent/s by working all the time, and when he/she wasn't living with the parent/s he/she was able to do school and focus on his/her future? isn't that a good enough reason. Lets say this child has missed two years of his/her High School because of this, isn't that enough reason?
Enough reason, in who's eyes? The kid's? I'm sure. My own? Yes, of course. A court's? I'm not entirely certain, but they might have something to say about it. At any rate, the only way a court will grant an emancipation to a minor before they reach the age of consent is if they are fully able to support themselves on their own (utterly and completely, including insurance, living expenses, schooling, the whole deal), and based on that child's own level of maturity. The odds of getting emancipated are very, very slim, so know that much. Out of all the requests for emancipation filed every year, very few of them are granted.

If that doesn't answer your question, then I'm not quite sure what you're asking here. Is a lack of schooling reason enough for what, exactly? For the child in question to be magically exempt from age of consent laws, no. If you're in this situation and you have genuine concerns, my advice to you is to contact an agency that deals with these types of cases (a child protection agency, perhaps, but probably not) and explain to them the situation regarding you not being able to attend school, but to be honest, I don't think there's much you can do.

Eileen T.

Enough reason, in who's eyes? The kid's? I'm sure. My own? Yes, of course. A court's? I'm not entirely certain, but they might have something to say about it. At any rate, the only way a court will grant an emancipation to a minor before they reach the age of consent is if they are fully able to support themselves on their own (utterly and completely, including insurance, living expenses, schooling, the whole deal), and based on that child's own level of maturity. The odds of getting emancipated are very, very slim, so know that much. Out of all the requests for emancipation filed every year, very few of them are granted.

If that doesn't answer your question, then I'm not quite sure what you're asking here. Is a lack of schooling reason enough for what, exactly? For the child in question to be magically exempt from age of consent laws, no. If you're in this situation and you have genuine concerns, my advice to you is to contact an agency that deals with these types of cases (a child protection agency, perhaps, but probably not) and explain to them the situation regarding you not being able to attend school, but to be honest, I don't think there's much you can do.
No no... Thank you for your replies they are a big help... and it's not about me but someone really close that i asked these questions, now i know where abouts i stand. Gracias/Thank you once again :)

LdiJ

That's enough reason to get CPS involved in the case to get the child yanked from the parent's home. That's educational neglect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">