• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What are my friends rights under his controlling parents?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Courtney122

I'm asking this for a friend. He has very controlling parents (particularly his mother), and he lives on a military base in Germany. He is 16 right now. His mother monitors his phone and computer use, and even one time texted his girlfriend on his phone pretending to be him. Right now, is it a very big concern for me and his girlfriend that when he turns 18, his mother may not allow him to get the money that he has in his bank account. At the moment, he is grounded from all electronics and from contacting his girlfriend for at least 6 months, so we don't have any way to contact him. He does want to come back to the united states and move away from his parents when he turns 18, but we need legal information so we can be prepared for the uphill battle we will inevitably face from his parents. (For reference, his girlfriend and I are both 18.)

First of all, we want to know what his rights are going to be after he turns 18. We also want to know what his parent's rights will be over him after he turns 18. I think he will still be a dependent. Am I correct? And, also, if this is correct, how can he become independent?

Second of all, we'd like some information on how he can gain access to his bank account and money when he turns 18, if his mother won't allow him to access it. We want to be fully prepared when the time comes that we need to use this information.

Last of all, is there some place we can get information about this kind of thing in the future? Maybe a website or book? None of us are studying law and this is not something we are prepared to handle right now.

Thank you!

Proserpina

I'm asking this for a friend. He has very controlling parents (particularly his mother), and he lives on a military base in Germany. He is 16 right now. His mother monitors his phone and computer use, and even one time texted his girlfriend on his phone pretending to be him. Right now, is it a very big concern for me and his girlfriend that when he turns 18, his mother may not allow him to get the money that he has in his bank account. At the moment, he is grounded from all electronics and from contacting his girlfriend for at least 6 months, so we don't have any way to contact him. He does want to come back to the united states and move away from his parents when he turns 18, but we need legal information so we can be prepared for the uphill battle we will inevitably face from his parents. (For reference, his girlfriend and I are both 18.)

First of all, we want to know what his rights are going to be after he turns 18. We also want to know what his parent's rights will be over him after he turns 18. I think he will still be a dependent. Am I correct? And, also, if this is correct, how can he become independent?

Second of all, we'd like some information on how he can gain access to his bank account and money when he turns 18, if his mother won't allow him to access it. We want to be fully prepared when the time comes that we need to use this information.

Last of all, is there some place we can get information about this kind of thing in the future? Maybe a website or book? None of us are studying law and this is not something we are prepared to handle right now.

Thank you!

"We"?

"We" what? You will be facing nobody. He can deal with his parents himself. When he reaches the age of majority, send him here. In the meantime, you do whatever his parents say in terms of whether he's allowed to see you or contact you.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
By the time her turns 18? He will likely have found a nice German girl and his current g/f will have found someone her own age.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
Sounds like typical responsible parental behavior. Only controlling behavior I'm seeing here are the people trying to subvert the parental authority.

There's a good reason he is grounded and not allowed to contact his girlfriend... or you, whoever you are.

He will be a legal adult. He can choose to be independent if he wishes, but with that goes responsibility.

For example, he'd best pay for his own housing, food, clothing, education, and electronics.

When he becomes a legal adult, he can create an account on here and inquire, if necessary.

Thank you!
Seriously? Go to school, get and education, get a job, and live your own life.

Even if this boy has a billion euros, it's none of your business. Mom is trying to ensure that he has a future, and you are just an airhead hanger on who is hoping you can get into the money for some serious partying.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Until his 18th birthday, his "rights" are to do what his parents tell him to do, live where his parents tell him to live, and to be in contact only those people whom his parents give him permission to be in contact with. In fact, until his 18th birthday, he has no rights except those his parents choose to give him.

After he turns 18, he can sign up and ask his own questions.

You, on the other hand, since you're inquiring about the law, have no legal standing to get the answers to any of the questions you're asking, allegedly on his behalf.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">