• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What are my rights as the custodial parent?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

abrown29

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Montana

The situation is this: I am the custodial parent. I was not married when I had my daughter. The father expressed no interest in me or the baby so I did not put his name on the birth certificate. After the baby was born he decided he wanted visitation and wants his name on the birth certificate. He attempted to abduct the baby but was not successful. I filed a police report only to be told that without a parenting plan, he was within his rights to take the baby. I contacted a lawyer and insisted on a parenting plan before any visitation would be allowed. My former boyfriend is a soldier stationed overseas. He comes to town without warning (even though he knows months in advance that he will be here), his lawyer appeals to the local judge's patriotism and my child's father has been permitted to take my infant for days at a time despite the lack of a parenting plan or any formal agreements through the court. My lawyer is very good but, doesn't seem to know how to deal with this situation. She always seems perplexed that the judge doesn't follow procedure. The judge has never spoken to me or the baby's father. It is always done on the spot with just the lawyers. I'm very tired of this and would like to pick up and move to another state without telling anyone. It doesn't seem like it should be a problem since there isn't a parentling plan but, I'm afraid that my boyfriend will be granted custody during my absence or that I will get in some sort of trouble. I'm afraid to ask my lawyer about this because I'm afraid she may have to alert the court that I'm thinking along this line. I really need some advice. What should I do?

abrown29

I know something was filed 1 1/2 years ago. It's probably what you're referring to. The next step was supposed to be the father submitting a parenting plan but, he has never done that.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">