• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What are my rights as custodial parent against noncustodial parent?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tigerlilly35

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida (yes)
I have been raising my son, who is 14 now. I am the custodial parent and lately my son is talking a lot to his father (non custodial parent) and his father has promised to take him on a road trip this summer. Here is my problem. His father has not paid child support in years, only calls on occasion, and makes empty promises. He also does drugs and has sold drugs in the past. My son thinks the world of his father and it kills me. For my sons sake, I don't mind if he spends some time with his father, but I don't want them traveling out of Florida (if his father even visits him in the summer) and I am wondering what my rights are to limit visitation? His father told my son that they will take a road trip to Las Vegas!!! Help please!

cyjeff

Dad can do whatever he wants with junior during his court ordered visitation.

Before you bring up the out of state issue, have YOU ever taken the boy out of state on vacation?

tigerlilly35

Yes I have taken him out of state a few times. He even had a chance to go to Puerto Rico. But as for his father, is it right for him to be able to take him to Las Vegas? especially when he is $16,000 in debt with child support? and does drugs? I have no way to avoid this visitation? He has not even seen his son is 5 years

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Yes I have taken him out of state a few times. He even had a chance to go to Puerto Rico. But as for his father, is it right for him to be able to take him to Las Vegas? especially when he is $16,000 in debt with child support? and does drugs? I have no way to avoid this visitation? He has not even seen his son is 5 years
If there is court ordered visitation then dad gets to exercise it. Child support is NOT an admission fee. Prove that he does drugs. Prove that said drugs are a danger to junior -- hint, marijuana in many places is not necessarily a danger -- and why didn't you do anything in the last five years to modify visitation because dad was not around?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Blah. Children are not property to be rented, leased, bought or sold.
True, but I sure enjoyed loaning mine out on several occasions. I've been told that they were an EXCELLENT form of birth control!

LdiJ

If there is court ordered visitation then dad gets to exercise it. Child support is NOT an admission fee. Prove that he does drugs. Prove that said drugs are a danger to junior -- hint, marijuana in many places is not necessarily a danger -- and why didn't you do anything in the last five years to modify visitation because dad was not around?
I agree with this, but you could still try to take it to court to get visitation modified based on the fact that dad has not seen the child in 5 years. You might be able to stop him taking the child out of state THIS year, but not forever.

Gracie3787

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida (yes)
I have been raising my son, who is 14 now. I am the custodial parent and lately my son is talking a lot to his father (non custodial parent) and his father has promised to take him on a road trip this summer. Here is my problem. His father has not paid child support in years, only calls on occasion, and makes empty promises. He also does drugs and has sold drugs in the past. My son thinks the world of his father and it kills me. For my sons sake, I don't mind if he spends some time with his father, but I don't want them traveling out of Florida (if his father even visits him in the summer) and I am wondering what my rights are to limit visitation? His father told my son that they will take a road trip to Las Vegas!!! Help please!
What does your court order state regarding visitation or parenting time?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">