• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

At what point can I request a psych eval??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

julie4796

What is the name of your state? Ohio
Ex is crazy. He does and says mean things to me in front of the kids. I had him arressted last month for calling me 147 times in 2 days. Court for that is in May. Since then I have filed 2 follow up police reports for numerous calls and threats again. He comes to pick the kids up adn be littles me RIGHT in front of them. Calls me a whore, fat pig, bitch, etc.. this has been tape recorded. He uses the kids CLEARLY to try to hurt me. The latest was today when he had my 4 year old call me and say, "I am going to have a baby brother..." Yet when I said something to him about it he denied that she said that. I have the call on tape with him in the back ground coaching her on what to say.
My 12 year old ahs expressed numerous times that he doesnt want to go there because of "the mean things that dad says to hurt you. Mom he lies to make you mad..."
He is clearly using the children to get to me and that is sick. Plain sick...
My question is this... at what point can I request that he goes to have a psych eval?? I am seeing a lawyer on Wednesday because of all of this and to get a restraining order. But I am afraid of the harm that this is doing to the kids... Yet I want them to have a relationship with their father. But he clearly needs help...
Could a judge order it simply because I request it???

O

OSNNG2L

You could request it but then you have to have reasonable cause. Just because you request it does not mean the judge will grant it. There has to be a need to request a psych eval in such cases as attempted suicide, threat of killing someone, or drug problem or something related.

Just because he calls names and makes bad influences to people including and/or up to your child(ren) does not give reasonable grounds for a psych eval to be done.

You have the right idea in mind by hiring an attorney. Make sure you keep all documents pertaining to his actions and file the restraining order as you stated you are going to do...That is the first step.

I would try to make sure you have full legal and physical custody of them children and if not then get your attorney to fight for such custody of them but still allowing visitation with their father if you want to keep the father apart. At that time I would have your attorney also request to the judge to seek family counseling and coping as a single father on how to raise your children. They most likely won't make him get a psych eval but may require him to take co-parenting classes and to seek a counselor to solve his issues in order to maintain his visitation rights with those children.

But, follow through with the steps you say you are going to do and don't give up on your kids...Do what is best in regards for your kids.

If you are unsure about what else to do, I would seek legal advice from your attorney on what your further options are and what the chances of things happening are.

Either way I wish you the best of luck and hope for the best for your kids...Good Luck!

P

PoohBear8

requesting a psych info may come back to bite you in the butt...the judge could order a full psych evaluation for all of you...they are quite costly and you never know who is going to be ordered to pay how much...could be 50/50, maybe not..

J

julie4796

To protect the welfare and sanity of my kids, I would pay anything. He dropped them off last night and thought that there was someone here. He ran around the house banging on the doors and windows yelling, "WHORE" with my kids in the house...
He is clearly touched...
And all this from a man who is living with someone else and plans to marry her....

P

PoohBear8

please keep us posted about your visit with the attorney...i, at least, am interested in the outcome for personal reasons...

P

proudparent1968

What a sad situation...

I wish You the best.

Do what is "in the best interest of your children"

This advice is by far the best that I've ever received, and is an outstanding "rule of parenting".

Bless you...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">