• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What "proves" that child is in danger??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

luisac

What is the name of your state? Nebraska

Exactly WHAT constitutes "proof" that a child is in danger...or whatever it may be called, danger, imminent danger, jeapordy?

I keep reading that "proof" is required, but what kind? What is acceptable? Documentation, but are someone's notes enough, or what type of documentation would be acceptable? Past criminal behavior, or does not that count because it's past? How does one "prove" abuse that is not physical?

Thank you.

Just Blue

What is the name of your state? Nebraska

Exactly WHAT constitutes "proof" that a child is in danger...or whatever it may be called, danger, imminent danger, jeapordy?

I keep reading that "proof" is required, but what kind? What is acceptable? Documentation, but are someone's notes enough, or what type of documentation would be acceptable? Past criminal behavior, or does not that count because it's past? How does one "prove" abuse that is not physical?

Thank you.

It would be easier to say what isn't proof. Notes are not "proof"...but may help with your recollection of events in court. Police reports and criminal convictions are proof. Doctor/Therapist Records are proof. UNINVOLVED 3rd parties may be proof.

Post your situation and perhaps I and others could help more.

luisac

thanks

Thank you for your response.

There isn't a "situation" at present. I just want to be prepared should one arise! I certainly don't expect any situation, but hey!! Who does??!

My ex is spending time with our son (3) with some people that have a violent history (convictions of manslaughter, assault) as well as alcohol & drug abuse. It's a whole family that seems to just make poor decisions.

It makes me a bit nervous, so I'm just keeping my eyes & ears open, and should (God forbid) something happen I don't want to ever say, "I wish I would have..." or "I should have..."

I think a good time to ask questions is when one is calm, rational & reasonable.

Thank you again for answering my question.

Silverplum

Thank you for your response.

There isn't a "situation" at present. I just want to be prepared should one arise! I certainly don't expect any situation, but hey!! Who does??!
We don't "do" hypotheticals. There's waaaay too much going on NOW.

We also have to walk a line: IMO, "coaching" posters on ways to eliminate the other parent from a child's life is a huge and ugly responsibility, and can often border on flatly unethical. I don't want to do that.

If you want to be prepared, feel free to read the boards and learn for yourself.

luisac

Wow!

It is certainly not my intention to do anything unethical or trick someone into doing so either, nor is it my intention to cut my son's father out of his life! A child needs his father (and mother). In fact I have gone above & beyond in facilating my son's relationship with his father. I think it's very important.

I also work very hard with my son's father to maintain a great relationship all the way around. However, I do document everything, and there have been some bad things that have happened in the past and there wasn't anything I could do, I wasn't prepared & I like to be prepared for any eventuality. It was frightening, and frustrating.

I know dad loves our son, but he has made some bad decisions & has placed our son in harms way...there was no "proof". Yet I still think it's important for a child to have a relationship with his father. It took me over six months of reasoning & talking with the dad, asking dad for his thoughts and his help to come to an agreement on appropriate places & activities for a toddler.

I went through every page on this forum looking for information. I also did a web search. All I wanted to know is what constitutes "proof". Like I said, I don't want to say "I wish I had taken him to the doc's" or "I wish I would have asked for a copy of the report". What I did learn going through the posts was there were a lot of..."You should have...." or "You needed to..." Therefore, I am trying to "learn myself" what is needed rather than be left frustrated and without recourses as I was before.

So, thank you again for the information.

Silverplum

Wow!

It is certainly not my intention to do anything unethical or trick someone into doing so either, nor is it my intention to cut my son's father out of his life! A child needs his father (and mother). In fact I have gone above & beyond in facilating my son's relationship with his father. I think it's very important.

I also work very hard with my son's father to maintain a great relationship all the way around. However, I do document everything, and there have been some bad things that have happened in the past and there wasn't anything I could do, I wasn't prepared & I like to be prepared for any eventuality. It was frightening, and frustrating.

I know dad loves our son, but he has made some bad decisions & has placed our son in harms way...there was no "proof". Yet I still think it's important for a child to have a relationship with his father. It took me over six months of reasoning & talking with the dad, asking dad for his thoughts and his help to come to an agreement on appropriate places & activities for a toddler.

I went through every page on this forum looking for information. I also did a web search. All I wanted to know is what constitutes "proof". Like I said, I don't want to say "I wish I had taken him to the doc's" or "I wish I would have asked for a copy of the report". What I did learn going through the posts was there were a lot of..."You should have...." or "You needed to..." Therefore, I am trying to "learn myself" what is needed rather than be left frustrated and without recourses as I was before.

So, thank you again for the information.
Then pay attention to the "you should have" and "you needed to" posts. ;)

And as far as your intentions go, I wasn't *accusing you* of anything in particular. I'm referring to what posts are left for readers to read. Mine will not be of a nature that teach one parent how to remove another parent. If that is truly necessary in a certain situation, I'm quite sure CPS can do their job.

Last edited:

luisac

Baystategirl, I thank you for the info, I found it very helpful....

I also thank you for your comments SilverPlum...I did look before posting to not put up a repeat post and to see if I could get some accurate info. And hopefully the info in this post will be helpful to others.

I agree with you & commend you for not wanting to participate in unethical behavior or trying to "cut out a parent"...a child has two parents!! We have to deal with it!! Unless, as you said it's necessary...then there are the proper channels...

I've told my ex that the discussions we have about raising our child are the same discussions we'd have if we were still together & a big happy family! We'd still be looking for compromises on we each think is best.

Thank you both once again.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">