• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What is "reasonable" phone calls for my ex to call my son?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

For me, there is nobody that is going to love Lil Bit as much as me, except for her Daddy. And quite frankly, I want my child to become an autonomous human being. I don't want her to be overly dependent on me. She has the right to have a relationship with her Dad without interference from me, as I do with her. I love her like crazy, but I don't want to be the center of her universe. (Doesn't mean that I don't miss her tons when she's not with me).

When she's with Dad I give them space. And Dad does the same thing for her when she is with me. So I quite frankly,don't get the compulsion to call a child multiple times a day when they are with the other parent, but to each their own. I will say that I do understand when one parent might become irritated when certain routines, such as bedtime, are perpetually ignored. (Whether this is by a CP or a NCP).
I completely agree with this statement! It appears that a parent that is calling a few times a day and forcing a 5 year old to converse (and how stimulating are the conversations, anyway, with that many phone calls) is doing it for themselves, not for the child. Once a day imo is excessive...when my daughter is gone for a couple of weeks at a time during summer, I don't call her any more than once or twice...I respect her father's time with her! Why should he have his parenting time interrupted by my whining that I miss her? He shouldn't! I don't blame the dad in this case for calling, he misses the child, but come on, 2 or 3 times a day? Seems rather selfish. I would NEVER do that during my ex's parenting time.

jbowman

So, is that the whole issue with calling too much? That is is disrespectful to the other parent? Can't that parent just swallow it and not make a big deal about it? Whatever the reason that a parent wants to speak with their child -- missing them, etc., how does it HURT the other parent? Why make it a fight? IMO, if you just let it happen, chances are the calls may become less frequent if the other parent realizes that you just dont really care--if they are indeed calling just to bug YOU, the other parent.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">