• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What is "Right of First Refusal"

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? Utah.

What is "Right of First Refusal" and why don't more parents use it?

Thank you in advance for your input.

"It is not giving children more that spoils them; it is giving them more to avoid confrontation."

~ John Gray

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
It requires parent #1 (CP or NCP) to offer time to parent #2 should #1 be unable to personally care for the child for some amount of time.

In other words, if I were to have a dinner engagement on a Friday night, I would have to ask Dad if he'd like to have the kids before I got a sitter for them. If he were to be away on business for one of his days, he'd have to ask me if I wanted the kids during that time before he made other arrangements.

michiganmom2005

If its your time with the kids and you have something to do for more then a couple hours, you have to ask the father if he wants the kids before you can ask anyone else to watch them.

CJane

Ohmyheaven said:
why don't more parents use it?
Couple of reasons (my opinion only, of course)

1) It tends to be a control issue more than anything else.
2) It tends to bite the requesting parent in the a$$ more often than not. They usually want it to keep the NCP from utilizing babysitters, etc... but it applies to both parents.

xKellyx

Ohmyheaven said:
What is the name of your state? Utah.

What is "Right of First Refusal" and why don't more parents use it?

Thank you in advance for your input.

"It is not giving children more that spoils them; it is giving them more to avoid confrontation."

~ John Gray

also grandparents are usually not considered a sitter, and therefore if you had your parents watch your kids, you would not be violating the right of first refusal.

Whyte Noise

xKellyx said:
also grandparents are usually not considered a sitter, and therefore if you had your parents watch your kids, you would not be violating the right of first refusal.

ROFR provisions are sometimes worded as "any third party". A third party would be anyone other than the parents, and that includes grandparents (who aren't the child's parents).

It could be worded either way, I've seen it done both. If it states " anyone other than family", then GP's watching the child would not be a violation of ROFR. If it states "any third party", then it would be a violation.

onrey762

right of first refusal

this gives either parent the right to dis-approve of a selected daycare provider, the catch is that if the parent refuses to accept a selected care provider they then have to arrange for a provider at their expense, my ex wife added this so that if she didnt want a girl I was dating to watch the kids she could say No. and yes it tends to be used as a control issue

Zephyr

onrey762 said:
this gives either parent the right to dis-approve of a selected daycare provider, the catch is that if the parent refuses to accept a selected care provider they then have to arrange for a provider at their expense, my ex wife added this so that if she didnt want a girl I was dating to watch the kids she could say No. and yes it tends to be used as a control issue
your definition of right of first refusal is inaccurate, please read the above postings.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">