• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What is she trying to pull now?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sbaldwin

What is the name of your state? TX
CP and child live in government assisted apartments where she pays @ 150 a month for rent. She "quite her job" in April of 2002. (we believe she was fired) She has NEVER informed NCP of a new job, however, ss told us she is cleaning houses... the kicker here is that she has been doing this since May, and has yet to receive a check. SS had a birthday party here on July 4th. In addition to all of his presents, he also got $130. We tried, unsuccessfully, to get him to spend the money before going back to the NCP's home the following Monday. He still had $70, and just like we knew she would, she "borrowed" it! Last year she "borrowed" $65 of his b-day money and he never saw it again. This time he was told she would pay him back when she got her check. It was supposed to be in the mail last Tuesday... He called her tonight to see if she had got the check yet because she told him she would bring the money to him when she got it. Not only did she tell him that she didn't get her check from cleaning, she also told him she didn't get a child support check this week. BS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My husband's CS payment comes right out of his check and has done so for 4 years now! She told ss that she called the CS office, and they told her they haven't received a payment for 2 weeks now. Is this just more BS coming out of her mouth? Why would she tell her 14 year old child that anyway? UUUGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHH! How should this be handled? Thanks, I know there are emotions in my post, and I apologize!

ellencee

You had a reallly simple solution to the situation about birthday money. The party was at your house; the money should have stayed at your house. 14 year-old kids don't need that type of cash on them or available to them at any time.

If I were the one paying support, I'd be calling to find out if CSE received the money even if it was deducted from my check. There may have been a change in the way payroll or whatever department sends payroll deductions; ie. it may now be once a month instead of every two weeks when they send the money to CSE.

If you keep complaining about her earnings and living arrangements, you could end up supporting her so she doesn't need to do work or receive her income in a manner that doesn't please you or live in a place that doesn't meet your approval.

sbaldwin

If you keep complaining about her earnings and living arrangements, you could end up supporting her so she doesn't need to do work or receive her income in a manner that doesn't please you or live in a place that doesn't meet your approval.
WHAT? I'm not sure what you are saying here.

C

ChevyGirl

They are saying that if you want to push it and get it before a judge about the CS, the judge might just make you pay more money so that she can afford to live in a residence that would meet your approval for the child.

sbaldwin

We don't disapprove of her choice in living arrangements, what we disapprove of is her taking money from the child because she chooses not to work! We also disapprove of her telling the child my husband isn't paying his CS! When I asked "how should this be handled" I meant her telling the child about the CS... which is in NO WAY TRUE! I don't think a judge would order my husband to pay more CS because the CP CHOOSES not to work! He's doing his part, and she needs to do hers!

C

ChevyGirl

Sadly, a lot of judges are pro mom staying home with child. Your best results will be from having the child keep his money at your house (perhaps open him an account in your husband's name to save ?? )and to let the child support comments go in one and ear and out of the other. Just explain to the child that the payments come out of Dad's check every week (or however often) and that there is no need for him to worry about the money and that if mother mentions it again, tell him to tell her that if she really hasn't received her support payment, she needs to call child support enforcement and not burden him with it.

sbaldwin

Thanks! If she wanted to "stay at home with the child", she should have thought about that before she chose to take everything out of the home and move with her bf at the time! My husband pays the amount of CS ordered, and she sits and waits for it. We do have an account for the child, but we figured birthday money was his to do with as he wishes... next year, it will stay here! I don't mean to come off as bitchy, but OHHHHHHHH this has been one hell of a week as far as the CP is concerned! :D Thanks for the advice!

C

ChevyGirl

sbaldwin said:
Thanks! If she wanted to "stay at home with the child", she should have thought about that before she chose to take everything out of the home and move with her bf at the time! My husband pays the amount of CS ordered, and she sits and waits for it. We do have an account for the child, but we figured birthday money was his to do with as he wishes... next year, it will stay here! I don't mean to come off as bitchy, but OHHHHHHHH this has been one hell of a week as far as the CP is concerned! :D Thanks for the advice!
Regardless of what decision she made, who she lived with, etc. it doesn't matter. The statement that I made is that a lot of judges are pro mom staying home with child, regardless of situation or where she lives or who she is doing or whatever. PERIOD. If the birthday money is his to do as he wishes, then if he wished to "loan" it to his mother, then what is the problem???

sbaldwin

Can you please show me the TX law where it says Child Support is paid according how the NCP wishes the CP would live? If not, your argument is nothing but a mouth full of BS, and if so, I would love to read it!

Last edited:

ellencee

ok, miss foulmouth, years ago when I took our children and left my demented husband, in our first and only appearance with the judge for the divorce and custody, my hubby asked the judge to grant my husband's parents custody as my job required that I work nights at least one weekend a month and required me to be on call and have to leave home on a moment's notice, taking the children to his parents because they kept the children when I had to work nights, or weekends, or go in because I was on call. The judge told him he would be glad to order that my husband pay my salary so that I could stay at home and not work any shift or job of which my husband did not approve.

One of my daughter's friends is now living in a rather nice apartment at the expense of her ex-husband, who is the custodial parent, because he disapproved of where the mother, the NCP, lived and didn't want his children having to stay there on weekends.

Both of these cases are in GA and are recorded and transcribed. It ain't TX law, but I watch court TV; I know Judge Larry Joe would do the same!

You certainly must be a bright spot in this young man's life. (not really)

sbaldwin

We don't disapprove of her choice in living arrangements, what we disapprove of is her taking money from the child because she chooses not to work!
I'm sorry, I must have missed the part where I said we objected in any way to where she chooses to live!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">