• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What % of Social Security Disability check can be taken for child support?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

bobbiejo336

My youngest child is 26 years old and I owe $9000 in back child support. I haven't heard a word about it for 8 years and now I've received a letter from Maximus, a collection center acting on behalf of the county. My question is twofold:

First, is there a statute of limitations to pursue collection? I live in the state of Ohio, in Lucas County.

Second, I was diagnosed with leukemia in 1993 and I've been on Social Security Disability since 1994. I receive $515/month and it's my only source of income. Can my check be attached and if so, what percentage can they take? I have no property or bank accounts and I don't even have a driver's license. What steps can be taken to collect this past-due support? Can I be put in jail?

Thank you for your time.

T

Taz93

To my knowlege there is no statue of limitation in collection of back child support arrearages. Yes, they can take a % out of your social security check which I don't know what % it would be. I am sorry you have lukemia, but, it is still a debt that doesn't go away. JMO

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">