+ Reply to Thread
    ncooley Guest

Unhappy what is "unfit" (parenting) standards in SC - noncustodial parent tantrums

What is the name of your state?SC. Non-custodial parent proving himself unfit with erratic behavior, 2 DSS files on him for inappropriate behavior/emotional abuse, rarely takes his visitation time and has recently had car wreck while high on narcotics with his sons in the car. What must I prove to the court to show him as unfit to parent? He has both boys scared of him and is now telling me he's suicidal and taking pills to calm down, hence, not alert or able to make decisions or drive. My husband wants to adopt and we need to know what SC standards regarding UNFIT are. Any response is greatly appreciated!
    BelizeBreeze is offline Senior Member
    Being an unfit human being is NOT the same as being an unfit parent. And even if he was found to be unfit as a parent, it's not enough to have his parental rights terminated.

Stop trying to take his children away and instead file for supervised visitation.
    ncooley Guest

Lightbulb The question is SC state standards

(SC) I seek to modify custody only if I can't get supervised visitation. The adoption is not really pressing. The bio father is borderline nuts but still can have parental rights. The safety of the kids is the concern. I thank you for your 2 cents and will proceed w/ my attorney on visitation changes.
    LdiJ is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ncooley
    (SC) I seek to modify custody only if I can't get supervised visitation. The adoption is not really pressing. The bio father is borderline nuts but still can have parental rights. The safety of the kids is the concern. I thank you for your 2 cents and will proceed w/ my attorney on visitation changes.
    If the police were involved when he had the car accident with the kids in the car, and it was documented that he was high, then getting supervised visitation should be pretty easy.

Basically, unless he completely abandons the children (no contact of any kind and no child support) for whatever period of time your state uses to determine abandonment, or unless he voluntarily relinquishes his parental rights...your husband really has no real chance of ever adopting.